Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Hi Everyone.

The family is complaining that our pool was cold last summer and convincing me that we should get a heat pump for our 18' round AGP. Our summer was a bit cooler than normal and windy last year. Having a bit of an extended season is also a plus for us. I don't have a way to get NG to the pool so a gas heater in not an option. We are in NY on Long Island, we use a solar cover whenever we are not in the pool, and would like to keep the pool at 85 degrees.

Been looking through threads and trying to zero in on what heat pump is right for my application. I am leaning towards the Raypak Crosswind 65-I. Their calc says it would meet my needs but a bit of a sceptic as they are trying to sell stuff.

Would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations on this.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Everyone.

The family is complaining that our pool was cold last summer and convincing me that we should get a heat pump for our 18' round AGP. Our summer was a bit cooler than normal and windy last year. Having a bit of an extended season is also a plus for us. I don't have a way to get NG to the pool so a gas heater in not an option. We are in NY on Long Island, we use a solar cover whenever we are not in the pool, and would like to keep the pool at 85 degrees.

Been looking through threads and trying to zero in on what heat pump is right for my application. I am leaning towards the Raypak Crosswind 65-I. Their calc says it would meet my needs but a bit of a sceptic as they are trying to sell stuff.

Would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations on this.

Thanks in advance!
I was looking at the exact same thing for the exact same size pool. I'm in North East Ohio so probably similar weather too. I see online there are a few heat pumps that run on 115VAC. 33,000 BTU is probably on the low end but I'd say keeping the cover on when not in use would make that suitable for what we need. Cost of the unit is not bad at all but the wiring alone for a 230VAC will probably cost as much as the unit. I'm not sure how your pool is wired but if you do not already have 220, thats a pretty big expense.

I was looking at the exact same thing for the exact same size pool. I'm in North East Ohio so probably similar weather too. I see online there are a few heat pumps that run on 115VAC. 33,000 BTU is probably on the low end but I'd say keeping the cover on when not in use would make that suitable for what we need. Cost of the unit is not bad at all but the wiring alone for a 230VAC will probably cost as much as the unit. I'm not sure how your pool is wired but if you do not already have 220, thats a pretty big expense.
Thanks copterdoc! I do have the ability to get 220 to the pool, just pull another circuit through the existing pipe/run, no issue there.

Let's say your pool is 8000 gallons. 8000 x 8.34 is 66,720 pounds of water and you need 1 BTU per hour to heat 1 gallon of water in an hour, so at its best performance per the brochure, you would get about 1 degree of heat per hour of operation (note that the performance goes down as the ambient air temperature goes down) . If that is acceptable then go for it! If you want something a little more powerful to lengthen your pool season you may want to go with a larger heat pump.

A solar blanket/solar cover would be highly recommended since it will help conserve the heat in the pool overnight.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Let's say your pool is 8000 gallons. 8000 x 8.34 is 66,720 pounds of water and you need 1 BTU per hour to heat 1 gallon of water in an hour, so at its best performance per the brochure, you would get about 1 degree of heat per hour of operation (note that the performance goes down as the ambient air temperature goes down) . If that is acceptable then go for it! If you want something a little more powerful to lengthen your pool season you may want to go with a larger heat pump.

A solar blanket/solar cover would be highly recommended since it will help conserve the heat in the pool overnight.
Thanks Rich, that is helpful. So it looking like I am kind of at the tipping point with the 65k Raypak.

Whats everyone's thoughts on the TTI Fab Stratos units? They have 80k and 100k units. The Website for them is not impressive but they have a a decent warranty, 5yr parts/2yr labor and made in Canada.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I might say assembled in Canada since they advertise a Japanese-technology compressor (I'm old and crabby and skeptical ;)). Whatever you get, be sure that warranty service is available - check to see if anyone is local or the warranty may be a moot point.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hmmm. I might say assembled in Canada since they advertise a Japanese-technology compressor (I'm old and crabby and skeptical ;)). Whatever you get, be sure that warranty service is available - check to see if anyone is local or the warranty may be a moot point.
Thanks again Rich! Yeah, been weeding through reviews and it seems service is hard to come by for the TTI Fab units.

Anyone have an 18' Round AGP in the North East using a heat pump heater? Would love to hear what heat pump you have and your experience. Thank you.