JayMc

May 21, 2016
Graham, WA
I have a Raypak 5450 heat Pump for my above-ground pool and using a Harris 1.5 HP above-ground swimming pool pump. The system works great except it doesn't appear as if the Raypak has a water pressure switch or a water flow switch or is not adjusted properly, so when my pump isn't running the heater still wants to kick on, then achieves high-pressure error.

I'm been disappointed in the Raypak manual with comments like "If the location of the HPPH is below the water line of the pool, the Water Pressure Switch (WPS)
or Water Flow Switch (WFS) might need to be adjusted or an external WFS might be needed." with no information on adjusting it. A little disappointing considering how good the Heat Siphon instructions were for adjusting the WPS.

I currently run the pump 24/7, although would like to become more energy-efficient and limit my wear and tear on the pump and have the following questions for the forum to assist with mitigating the problem.

1a. Does the Raypak 5450 have a WPS or WFS and how do you adjust it?

1b. If the Raypak doesn't have WPS or WFS installed, and you have installed one are there any recommendations for the process? It looks like I can purchase the part for $40, although not sure if that requires wires.

2a. Can you program the Raypak for an external pump controller, without an external pump hooked up?

2b. If you program the Raypak for an external pump controller, will the Raypack still attempt to heat during the periods in which the pump is not programmed to run?

Thanks for any responses.

Jay

Thanks, I managed to adjust the WPS, disappointed the manual didn'ty provide the level of detail the heat siphon manual did.

What is the heat siphon manual?

I have the 4450. Can you share how you were able to adjust it so that I can try on mine as well? Last year it seemed to work ok, but this year it keeps trying to run so I think I need to adjust it.
The switch has a locking feature. I believe reaching under the switch and moving a piece of plastic unlocks it, then rotate the dial and test until it works correctly. Once you have the best setting, lock the switch and replace the cover.

The switch has a locking feature. I believe reaching under the switch and moving a piece of plastic unlocks it, then rotate the dial and test until it works correctly. Once you have the best setting, lock the switch and replace the cover.
Thank you! I was able to adjust mine. The unlock clip on the bottom I wouldn't have figured out I don't think.

For anyone else, don't accidently remove the sensor from the tube. I had to take off the top cover to get it reattached to the hose which wasn't too bad but I was worried about breaking something along the way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.