Rattling pipes

MStein

Mar 8, 2023
Modesto, CA
After I installed my new sand filter and installed an all new pipe system, I feel I must have done something wrong because if you watch the video, you’ll see the scary movements of my pipes when I turn on the pump. Is it the height, the long distance, the elbow configuration? I think it’s going to be a problem in the future and I should fix it now. Please help

Link to video

Two things that come to mind.
a) possibly the pump isn't sitting flush/flat to the pad aiding to the pipe shake.
b) the run from the pump needs to be supported midway before it breaks and this can also be causing some of the shake.

Two things that come to mind.
a) possibly the pump isn't sitting flush/flat to the pad aiding to the pipe shake.
b) the run from the pump needs to be supported midway before it breaks and this can also be causing some of the shake.
the pump is bolted into the concrete.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to support that pipe but the problem is, its way up in the air. see pic.

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    813.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    755.2 KB · Views: 12
the pump is bolted into the concrete.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to support that pipe but the problem is, its way up in the air. see pic.

To support a 1 1/2" pipe take a 2" T and cut off the top so it is open in a U and will slip onto the outside of the pipe. Then put a leg on it of the height needed for support. No water flows through it.

Reactions: 1poolman1
To support a 1 1/2" pipe take a 2" T and cut off the top so it is open in a U and will slip onto the outside of the pipe. Then put a leg on it of the height needed for support. No water flows through it.

That's a great idea! I'll figure out a was to secure it to the concrete and I should be good. Thanks

I had considered that but being that the pipe is 27" high, I don't think I would get much lateral support from that. It shakes in all directions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.