ss32000

Aug 3, 2022
Downers Grove, Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm having a sporadic issue with my pump and pulling water. Most days my pump will start and it will pull water into the pump and get my full system going, but some days I have to go out and bleed air out of the filter to get it to pull water. Once it's running it seems fine with no air in the return lines, but then a couple days later I'll have the issue again. If I had a seal issue I would have expected it to be more common versus sporadic. Any thoughts here? My biggest concern is I have to leave and my wife or someone at our house won't be able to troubleshoot it like I can.

Most common is a loose lid on the pump basket, or o-ring worn out, so that's worth checking. If you use a suction pool cleaner, that can have leaks in the hose allowing air in. Another is the pool water too low such that the skimmer is sucking air.

All said though, the pump should still prime unless it's a lot of air getting in.

It sounds like your system is draining and for that to happen, there must be air getting in at some level above the pool. That could be the spider gasket in the filter. Do you have a multiport valve on the filter? (arm you can turn for 'filter' 'circulate' 'rinse' etc.)

Most common is a loose lid on the pump basket, or o-ring worn out, so that's worth checking. If you use a suction pool cleaner, that can have leaks in the hose allowing air in. Another is the pool water too low such that the skimmer is sucking air.

All said though, the pump should still prime unless it's a lot of air getting in.

It sounds like your system is draining and for that to happen, there must be air getting in at some level above the pool. That could be the spider gasket in the filter. Do you have a multiport valve on the filter? (arm you can turn for 'filter' 'circulate' 'rinse' etc.)

I ordered a new O-ring to replace that as my gut is that is my most likely culprit. The only reason I think it's not pool level is that when it's not sucking, the water is at a decent level in the skimmer. Once it's flowing, it seems fine, but I'll keep an eye on it. My filter does not have a multiport valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.