Rain Rain Rain

chilltownmayor

Jun 17, 2020
ottawa
First time posting so be nice.

We got an onslaught of rain today. Over 50mm in an hour. Weather network didn't even come close to an accurate prediction.

We're building our 14*26 rectangular inground vinyl pool. The bottom was shaped, walls up, stairs in and concrete footings poured. Our soil base is essentially clay and sand (old farm field). The dig crew mentioned it was nice and easy to shape and no rocks etc etc.

Fast forward to the rain and basically all the shallow end, deepened walls have begun to wash away. We pumped out 2ft of water this afternoon but got another dumping in the last 20min

Please see the attached pictures, the builder is coming by tomorrow to assess,but we basically want to be prepared. What are our options? Do we normally start over in this situation? Any guidance or calming words would be helpful

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200729_173429.jpg
    20200729_173429.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200729_173410.jpg
    20200729_173410.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200729_173405.jpg
    20200729_173405.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200729_173317.jpg
    20200729_173317.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Wow
Reactions: Apsuhead
Can you show me some pics of the backside so I can see the concrete collar thickness.
In this situation all you can do is make forms and pour concrete under the walls to shore them up after its dried out some. That is dependent on the collar install being done right. After its shored up clean stone need to be worked in to the floor to tighten it up then DGA or clean to come up to grades. The hopper walls will have to be stiff mix concrete and built up. PB will be lucky to break even after the extra labor and material to fix this. Starting over doesnt help unless you have a new spot to put the pool cant go back there for a few years while it all settles naturally. This is a builders worst nightmare i had half this damage on my own pool and it was a ton of extra work

Can you show me some pics of the backside so I can see the concrete collar thickness.
In this situation all you can do is make forms and pour concrete under the walls to shore them up after its dried out some. That is dependent on the collar install being done right. After its shored up clean stone need to be worked in to the floor to tighten it up then DGA or clean to come up to grades. The hopper walls will have to be stiff mix concrete and built up. PB will be lucky to break even after the extra labor and material to fix this. Starting over doesnt help unless you have a new spot to put the pool cant go back there for a few years while it all settles naturally. This is a builders worst nightmare i had half this damage on my own pool and it was a ton of extra work
I definitely do not want to be starting over. My biggest worry is the PB trying to push costs onto me. PB Owner is coming by in the am to assess.
I can get you better pictures tomorrow morning if you need any. The collar seemed good everywhere except one spot where the water ran through.
So for my understanding you think concrete form under the wall and collar? Then build out slope on top of that?

Our original depth was 7' do you think that is still achievable?
Thanks for the reply
20200729_122506_05.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200729-231937_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200729-231937_Gallery.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20200729-231937_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200729-231937_Gallery.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 25
Looking at that collar isn't promising. I'd expect a uniform pour and finished. Just dumping concrete in the overdig isn't the way to do it. Not very thick amd theres no sloping back. Not much concrete there either. If you can check the pool for level and plumb and it's good it would make things alot better. I dont get why PBs skimp on concrete it's cheap. The stairs should be filled up 2 steps higher and formed off. The hopper sides are kinda still there so its workable once dried out with dry mix concrete amd stone. Dont let him put any dirt in there at all

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.