Rain filling pool - questions about handling this

Car54

May 19, 2020
Tampa
Living in Florida - we're getting a ton of rain these days. My pool is equipped with a gravity drain (just a hole in the pool to pvc pipe outside the foundation), I think that's what it's called. Depending on how I adjust that pipe this will determine the level the pool will start to drain and level out. I know draining the pool will drain chemicals and that it's best to leave it alone, but obviously the skimmer won't skim when the pool is high.

Any guidance on what to set this auto drain to level wise or just cap it?

I was also looking at drilling a small hole in a cap that would go inside the pool to slow down the draining. Is it better to drain slow and lengthy or high volume and fast?

It should be draining down to the level on your skimmer.. should be 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the top of the skimmer... You should not have to adjust it...

Being in FL you will have to check your numbers more than most of us.. some places near you can get 6 inches a month... :)

My auto drain pipe is located about 3/4 of the way to the top of the skimmer. I have had 6" or more rains in one day. I found even with all that rain draining from the pool, my chemical levels don't changes all that much.

A properly configured SWG, with proper other pool chemistry will have no problem 'keeping up with rain'. Side note, leased pool equipment sounds like a nightmare.

You aren't sharing your test results. Don't suppose you'd like to share your latest numbers from your own test kit?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.