Rain diluting my CYA

ka8yiu

Gold Supporter
Aug 11, 2016
SW FL
In SWFL, after a drought, the rain is here! Therefore, the process of needing to drain some water from my pool begins. (My lanai drainage adds a lot of the rain water into the pool requiring me to regularly pump some out.)

As a result, I find my CYA likes to lower from the natural water exchange. So, from what I have found here, one 8 oz trichlor puck adds about 1.3 ppm of CYA. Is this amount at all relative to a pool's volume? I have a relatively small pool (compared to many) at 8,000 gallons.

p.s. This is a convenient time as I may be out of town for a week, and I can supplement maintaining my FC level with the pucks, while conveniently raising my CYA level. This is the only time I use my feeder.

For each 10ppm FC you get you'll also get 9ppm CYA.

Or having just entered your size pool into PoolMath it tells me 8ounces of trichlor will: up FC 6.1; up CYA 4.2; lower pH 0.37 and give you 5.6 of salt.

Just so ya know.. :)

Maddie :flower:

Sounds like a plan. As long as you know what you are adding to your pool. Be sure to use the Effects of Adding Chemicals in PoolMath.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.