Radiant pool leaking on outside wall at return jet

Jul 30, 2016
Maryville, TN
Hi! My family has a 12x20 oval shaped Radiant semi in ground pool. We’re seeing a small but consistent leak on the outside wall at the fitting for the return jet.

Is it reasonable for us to try to replace the return ourselves? I’ve called a couple of local pool companies and feel like I’m getting the run around. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 0818D6EA-0045-46AA-837E-83915EC1D828.jpeg
    0818D6EA-0045-46AA-837E-83915EC1D828.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 7
Yes you can, first lower the water below the return, you will need to cut the vertical pipe about 2” below the elbow. You will require an above ground/fibreglass return fitting, 1.5” of the following, one slip x mpt coupler, a new elbow, one slip x slip coupler 5” of pvc and some glue and primer. Pay attention to the new return fitting it will have a rubber gasket plus two cork gaskets. The rubber goes against the pool wall on the inside, the cork ones go over this and also on the outside wall. You need to tighten the nut as tight as you can in order to form a seal. You then put Teflon tape on the threaded coupler and put it in the return fitting, tighten this by hand until you can’t anymore. You then dry fit the remaining pieces before you glue them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.