Raccoon feces amd SLAMing

Wassim

Mar 18, 2019
Boynton Beach, FL
Hi there,

I woke up this morning to some raccoon feces in my pool. I've had the pool maintenance guy take care of it the few times it happened before (I moved in 5 weeks ago and that's occurence #4) however I started maintain the pool myself so I need some guidance.

My testing (Taylor 2006) tonight at 10pm after running the pump all day
FC 6.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 70
CH 230
CYA 80
Temp 80
CSI -0.51

Do I have to "Shock" the pool in order to kill whatever is in the water even though the CC is 0? The pool guy used to brush/vacuum, add shock powder and algaecide, then wash the filter cartridge (for $40)

I have some Cal-hypo 73% and liquid chlorine on hand,

Bring the FC up to shock level for 24 hours. CYA 80 = FC of 31.

Its a true problem to have racoons and their feces in the water. Please review this article from the CDC about how to have the feces tested and how to clean the pool if necessary.

Maddie :flower:

Its a true problem to have racoons and their feces in the water. Please review this article from the CDC about how to have the feces tested and how to clean the pool if necessary.

Thanks for the reply Maddie.

I've read the article when it first happened and it scared the heck out of me, specially that I have a toddler at home. I made several phone to find out where to get the feces tested to no avail. I ended up just having the little one not using the pool.

You asked your public health department?

Perhaps your area isn't a known problem area for this? I guess you can take this as a good thing that they're not familiar with it as if they were that would mean they've seen the problem before, right? I guess I'd keep it at SLAM level a few days myself.

I hate that I've scared you, I'm a nurse and we're used to following certain protocols for things for preventative caution.

Reactions: gonfishin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.