Gold Supporter
May 10, 2018
Wimberley Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My R-0870 it turns Black/Purple and ruins my test vial, blue spoon & magnetic pill and becomes useless for the chlorine test.
I screw it tight each time but it seems the amount of humidity in Houston is too much for it, even for the short time it’s opened. I can get through about a third of the container before it’s ruined.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!!

Where is it being stored? Should be indoors and in a cool, dry space.

If you can find some desiccant packs that fit in the upper lid, I would try tapping the pack (or hot gluing it) to the inside lid. Desiccant packs are typically cotton fiber or polypropylene with silica gel particles in them.

Reactions: Triumph65
Thanks for the suggestions!! I can keep the supplies in the house.
One more option is to get a waterproof/air tight version of the tackle box (pictured) and keep some desiccants inside it to help further.
It’s much more convenient for me to do the actual testing in garage by the pool. Maybe I
could even keep the watertight tackle box in outdoor fridge, it’s certainly dryer and cooler than in the 100 degree humid garage and more convenient than keeping in house.

Attachments

• 01110E99-81AA-4956-8B7E-AF5BD1CEB93A.jpeg
    01110E99-81AA-4956-8B7E-AF5BD1CEB93A.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2
Temperature extremes aren't good either. Hot garages and refrigerators are but 2 examples.

Try to keep the test kit in the living space of your house. And consider testing in the kitchen (except for the CYA test). It's okay to rinse the testing solutions down the sink, you're inside in the air conditioning and the lighting is probably better than in the hot, humid garage.

Triumph,

I found the same thing from keeping chemicals out on the patio. Don't ruin your glass ware by trying to scrub with abrasive cleaners. Fill them with vinegar and watch the black dissolve completely with a little swirl. It's really cool the way this works - virtually no effort at all! You can also use dilute MA but vinegar is much easier/safer.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.