Quick Yes or No on Chlorine...

Jun 29, 2017
Smyrna, TN
Doing a partial drain/refill because of high CYA level. My FC is <1. Should I go ahead and add chlorine NOW or wait until tonight? The water is clear right now and I'd like to keep it there, but don't want to waste chlorine if nighttime is better.

Thanks!

If you add now during the drain it's going to go right out onto the lawn. Might as well wait until you stop draining then add some. Once filled-up to the skimmer, you can increase FC to whatever you need (regular or SLAM level) to meet your needs.

Doing a partial drain/refill because of high CYA level. My FC is <1. Should I go ahead and add chlorine NOW or wait until tonight? The water is clear right now and I'd like to keep it there, but don't want to waste chlorine if nighttime is better.

Thanks!
Yes.

Always add chlorine to maintain your target per the Chlorine / CYA Chart, and never, ever let it fall below the minimum level.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

- - - Updated - - -

Where are my manners??

Welcome to the forum!

If it's <1, it's too low. Depending on your current (new) CYA, it may be waaayyyyy too low. Since we know you have some CYA leftover in the water, at least increase the FC to about 5 for now. Later, post a full set of test results, to include your new CYA, and we'll be happy to help further.

Sorry, my post was unclear. I've completed the partial drain and the refill is almost complete. My real question is my chlorine need desperate enough to do it in the daytime or should I wait until evening?

Don't wait just because it's daytime. When it's that low, you need chlorine now!

If the water level is too low to run the pump, just brush it around as you pour it in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.