Quick SLAM question

May 11, 2018
Dayton TN
When adding chlorine during the SLAM process will it hurt to add extra above the recommended amount of bleach from the pool math calculator ? Not going to be able to check as often as I should and adding extra bleach as a buffer to make sure I keep above the necessary levels seems like a logical step to me but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

For example, right now I'm at 8PPM, need to be at 10 for SLAM which would be 28oz of 10% bleach - would it hurt anything if I doubled or tripled that up?

Thanks!

When adding chlorine during the SLAM process will it hurt to add extra above the recommended amount of bleach from the pool math calculator ? Not going to be able to check as often as I should and adding extra bleach as a buffer to make sure I keep above the necessary levels seems like a logical step to me but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

For example, right now I'm at 8PPM, need to be at 10 for SLAM which would be 28oz of 10% bleach - would it hurt anything if I doubled or tripled that up?

Thanks!

At some point you risk bleaching out the liner.

I can see going to 15 rather than 10 FC. Doubling or tripling just wastes chlorine. CL loss at high CL levels is not linear. You will lose that excess CL very quickly and not accomplish what you want.

Reactions: airforcematt
Since you are targeting 10 ppm FC this means you are attempting to SLAM without CYA? If so then yes, this can be a big deal as chlorine with zero CYA to buffer it can be especially aggressive. It's generally recommended that you have at least some CYA in your water before beginning a SLAM, but if you do SLAM with zero CYA then you need to treat 10 as your ceiling.

Since you are targeting 10 ppm FC this means you are attempting to SLAM without CYA? If so then yes, this can be a big deal as chlorine with zero CYA to buffer it can be especially aggressive. It's generally recommended that you have at least some CYA in your water before beginning a SLAM, but if you do SLAM with zero CYA then you need to treat 10 as your ceiling.

Gotcha, thanks!

Left the pool cover off over the winter and the water was green enough that despite my protests the wife insisted I "replace the water instead of just cleaning it" - have a pillowcase full of CYA hanging in front of the return but just got around to getting that setup about an hour ago. Probably should have done that first but oh well.

Hang in there Matt! How funky is your current situation and how long have you been at it?

Way better than it was yesterday! Even after re-adding about 8K gallons of fresh water it was still a pretty ugly looking green. Got it to a blue color again now though so I'm well on my way. Started the pump up last night about 8PM.

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-10 at 1.08.51 PM.jpeg

Hang in there! It's looking at lot more blue than green! I'm still finding my sea legs with our pool... But if you approach the work like a fun project rather than a pesky chore, it's pretty rewarding to see the progress. Not to mention when you and your family/friends are soaking up the rays in no time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.