Quick question on sand filter pumps

Sal160

Jun 16, 2020
ND
I have an above ground 16 x 48 (16,000-gals). Recently, I installed a Intex sand filter (12-in/ 1,600-GPH.) I don’t know what to do with the pool factory provided pump/ skimmer filter (SFX1500.) I am using the existing hole but not operating that pump. It is sort of working as an inert pre-filter (actually have C-filter installed) but it’s turned off.

My limited physics knowledge tells me that both should not be running because the suction pressure of the skimmer will affect the efficiency of the sand filter.

What others had done with the old skimmers once a sand filter is installed and operational?

Thanks,
R.

I'm assuming you are talking about one of these skimmer/pump combos? Summer Waves SkimmerPlus 1,500 Gallon Above Ground Pool Filter Pump (Used) | Wish

You can get a conversion kit like this Amazon.com: Conversion Kit convert SFX1000 or SFX1500 to sand pump compatible equipment of Skimmer Pump replace for SUMMER WAVE: Garden & Outdoor

You can also leave it as is and just not plug it in.
Yes, I meant one of those combos. I looked at that conversion kit you linked and that answer my question.

Thanks very much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.