Quick question about 2500gph pump

Hey....I have a problem with my chlorine levels and ph. I am always fighting to keep a good chlorine fc reading and when its right my ph is low..like 6.8...I use tri-chlor pucks and granulated cal-hypo. Do you think the new pump will help stabilize things?

No, your issues are chemical, not circulation related.

With a vinyl liner, get your ph above 7 now. With your tri-chlor use chances are your CYA levels are way up causing the FC issues.

I suggest heading to pool school and learning about the BBB way, get your CYA in-line and use liquid bleach and you'll be very glad you did ;)

Your new pump won't help that.

Trichlor pucks are acidic as well as adding CYA. You should switch to using bleach to chlorinate your pool.

Cal-hypo adds calcium which could be a problem if it gets too high. Of course with a pool your size it's easy to drain and refill if that happens. However, if you switch to bleach you won't have that problem.

What test kit do you have?

wal mart 6 way strips and 2 chamber drop test kit also from wally world. My test strips show no cya and my th is perfect. My ta is also perfect. my pool is in full texas summer sun if that makes a difference. It TENDS TO WANT TO BALANCE AROUND 6.8 TO 7.2. ITS ABSOLUTELY CRYSTAL CLEAR.

ittybittypool said:
I am always fighting to keep a good chlorine fc reading and when its right my ph is low..like 6.8...

Sticks aren't very reliable. The 6way drop test kit from walmart would be better, it contains a liquid CYA test. If you've been using tri-chlor, you most likely have CYA as it is a big part of the stick/puck.

At higher CYA levels chlorine is less effective. You can have a crystal clear pool that still has organics in it eating up your FC, think of it as a constant battle going on instead of FC standing watch to keep up-risings at bay.

Your PH will always remain lower with trichlor use. You can counter it with some borax as needed, but unless you are losing and replacing lots of water consistently, chances are you have a CYA issue even thought the sticks are suggesting otherwise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.