Quick depth quesition for an inground liner pool.

In the planning phase of starting a pool project...Looking at a 18x36 or a 20x40 in-ground liner pool...I do not want a deep end, but i want an over all water depth of right around 48". These kits come with either 42" or 48" walls...the way i see it, if i want a water depth of near or at 48" I will have to have a "cove" dug below the wall height of the pool no matter what wall i use...it is a 1500.oo add-on to add the 48" walls...why wouldnt you just use the 42" walls and dig out your cove to get the depth you are wanting (48" water)? Thoughts?

We have 48" walls and a cove on one side of our sport pool to acheive a water depth of 4'. I imagine that by going with shorter walls, you'd have a larger cove. Instead of a 6" drop, you'd have a 12" drop (our cove measures 18" out from the wall). If that's ok with you, not sure why it wouldn't work. It is a lot of hand digging to shape, so maybe your excavation cost would go up? We did ours ourselves, so can't help on that end.

I know you say you don't want a deep end. Something to consider is someone jumping or diving into a shallow pool. To that end a close friends son dove into a shallow pool and broke his neck. The outcome was very sad for sure. Not sure if you can prevent everyone from jumping / diving in at all time. Just something to think about. I am installing a 18 X 36 right now. 8' deep end and a 3' 4" shallow.

This is a very valid point. We make sure everyone who comes over to our house is told immediately that there's no diving or they're out.

I'm so sorry about your friends son!

48" walls work out to about 44to45 water depth when kept full. I think it's a good starting depth. I'm not a fan of any pool shallower than 5ft and the most popular with me is 6ft. Plenty for jumping and safe too. The play pool fad never really took off around me, most people have kids and they wanna jump. A jumping rock or a small waterfall is almost every build here nowadays.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.