Questions

What specific equipment do they use?
What is included in the price as far as electrical and plumbing?
Is running the gas line included in the price?
Do they offer an onsite project manager?
How do they handle delays?
How much extra is extra decking?
Do the employees work for them or are they contracted?
What is the guarantee for liner, shell, equipment?
Can you pay some of the money after the pool is completely done and you accept everything?
What is their arbitration process?

Hi all, interviewing builders for a pool and need good questions to ask. It’s a 18x36 in ground vinyl pool. TIA

May,

You are way ahead by asking this question now! So many focus only on the pool and ignore contractor pre-qualification/selection. Pool construction is a complicated process with many variables that are controlled by the builder (productivity and quality etc.), some variables controlled by the owner (timely decisions, scope definition, site access etc), and some that are not controlled by either (weather, subsurface conditions). All the questions Poolgate mentioned are important. Also consider the following:
  • Get a copy of the builder's contract. It will almost certainly require changing. It has most likely been drafted by their attorney and is very "one-way". You can post contents here for comment, be sure to remove any personal information. You should understand and agree to every word before you sign.
  • When you're done with the negotiation your contract should be very fair to both parties. Owners that try to put builders in untenable positions lose more than they gain.
  • Ask each builder for their execution plan for the construction process including the permitting plan. Also ask to see their specifications. If they say this is "proprietary" run don't walk!
  • Payment should be by easily measurable construction milestones that are roughly equivalent to work in place (we can help you with this),
  • Retainage is critical. Make sure you have 10% or so tied to a performance test agreed to by both parties. The test should also be fair to both parties.
Just to clarify, I'm not an attorney... just managed Billions of $ of construction and I'm always amazed at the range of quality for pool construction contracts, and pool construction quality management process. Also, the lack of attention to this before contracts are signed. You are waaaay ahead of the game by asking these questions now. It's not really that hard to do right. Most high quality constructors will actually appreciate an owner that wants to understand the differences between bidders and looks for real value not just the cheapest price.

I hope this helps.

Chris

May,

You are way ahead by asking this question now! So many focus only on the pool and ignore contractor pre-qualification/selection. Pool construction is a complicated process with many variables that are controlled by the builder (productivity and quality etc.), some variables controlled by the owner (timely decisions, scope definition, site access etc), and some that are not controlled by either (weather, subsurface conditions). All the questions Poolgate mentioned are important. Also consider the following:
  • Get a copy of the builder's contract. It will almost certainly require changing. It has most likely been drafted by their attorney and is very "one-way". You can post contents here for comment, be sure to remove any personal information. You should understand and agree to every word before you sign.
  • When you're done with the negotiation your contract should be very fair to both parties. Owners that try to put builders in untenable positions lose more than they gain.
  • Ask each builder for their execution plan for the construction process including the permitting plan. Also ask to see their specifications. If they say this is "proprietary" run don't walk!
  • Payment should be by easily measurable construction milestones that are roughly equivalent to work in place (we can help you with this),
  • Retainage is critical. Make sure you have 10% or so tied to a performance test agreed to by both parties. The test should also be fair to both parties.
Just to clarify, I'm not an attorney... just managed Billions of $ of construction and I'm always amazed at the range of quality for pool construction contracts, and pool construction quality management process. Also, the lack of attention to this before contracts are signed. You are waaaay ahead of the game by asking these questions now. It's not really that hard to do right. Most high quality constructors will actually appreciate an owner that wants to understand the differences between bidders and looks for real value not just the cheapest price.

I hope this helps.

Chris

This does thanks, I’ve heard quite a few horror stories of unwarranted delays and it seems like they all have cost overruns with even the smallest changes or additional labor costing more then it should.

Yep, we see a lot of the aftermath here and unfortunately there is often little that can be done after the wrong contractor is selected and the wrong contract is signed. As dismal as this sounds, the news is not all bad. If an owner can implement just the basics of best practices in contractor selection, contract negotiation plus understand how key the owner's role is for success these projects can go very well. 98%+ of my experience was very positive and when disputes arose they were settled amicably and fairly.

So as you meet with different builders keep your ears and eyes open. At some point you'll need to decide your final scope. Then you'll want a price, schedule, plus terms and conditions from each bidder so you can fairly compare. Are you getting close to deciding your scope of work? This is one of the items most commonly messed up by owners. Then late changes drive the project into a downward spiral that never ends well.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.