Questions on initial fill with new SWG...

Apr 29, 2017
OC, California
Greetings all - first off, thanks so much to everyone for all of their advice on this forum!!! This is truly the BEST place for pool information on the internet and this long-time lurker has learned so much!

Anyway...here's the situation. After several years of getting bad information and worse service from our (former...) pool service company, we have booted them out of our lives entirely and are moving on ourselves. Due to years of unmitigated Trichlor tab use, our CYA was off the charts (I mean, literally off the charts...I had to dilute my sample by 3:1 to even get a reading...); so we did a complete drain and our pool is now sitting empty. During this time, we've added a Hayward SWG chlorinator and are preparing to fill our pool back up.

Our fill water has the following chemistry (all readings taken with the TFP test kit...):
CH: 150-175 PPM
Total Alk: 80
PH: 8.2

Based on what I've read on the site, I will need to raise the CH and, potentially, lower the PH a bit before we get going with the SWG (total Alk should be OK...right?), so my questions are as follows:
1) Should I add chemicals (including stabilizer) as I fill it? Or, wait until it's completely full before adding anything?
2) At what point should I add the salt? As I'm filling the pool? After it's full, before adding other chemicals? Or, after it's full and the water chemistry is otherwise balanced?
3) Should I add any Liquid Chlorine/Bleach to the water before starting up the SWG? If so, at what point in the fill process?
4) Is there anything I should be worried about/looking at/making sure I do OR don't do, either while filling it up or before kicking on the SWG?

Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, raise CH up to 250 ppm.

1. Wait until it is full and the pump is running to add chems.
2. You can add salt as it is filling and brush it around some. It takes 24-48 hours for the salt to fully dissolve and mix in.
3. Yes, add bleach once the pump is running. I wouldn't turn on the SWG for 2 days.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, raise CH up to 250 ppm.

1. Wait until it is full and the pump is running to add chems.
2. You can add salt as it is filling and brush it around some. It takes 24-48 hours for the salt to fully dissolve and mix in.
3. Yes, add bleach once the pump is running. I wouldn't turn on the SWG for 2 days.

AWESOME! Thanks! Our water bill resets on Monday, so I'm kicking on the fill water first thing Monday morning! I'll post any follow-up questions then!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.