George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So my algae is gone and my pool FC has gone down to normal rangge and I havd started using my new SWG. I now decided to boost up my CYA to 70-80 using a non liquid conditioner. Even though the container says to pour directly in skimmer I do not think this is a good method. Whzt is best method for adding. How long before I can see my test kit sample show the amount of increase in CYA?

Straight out of Pool School:

CYA - Cyanuric Acid

CYA can be raised with cyanuric acid. Cyanuric acid is sold under a variety of names, including Stabilizer, Conditioner, Instant Pool Water Conditioner, Stabilizer 100, Stabilizer & Conditioner, etc. Instant Pool Water Conditioner is a liquid product which is significantly more expensive than the other forms.

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Thanks Richard: i have the granular cyanuric acid and had planned on putting it in a sock and dumping in the skimmer basket as I can not figure out a way to attach it to the pool wall in front of a pool return. If it put it on the deck and let it hang over into the water my dogs may get it which would not be good. Since you mention pool return I have four of them. When I put my hand in front of each of them I noticed that two of the four have stronger flow of water out of them. Should the strengh of flow out of each be equal. Do I need to check the lines on the two weaker ones or is this normal especially since they are the furthest from the pump?

Put the sock in the skimmer. Just don't block the flow completely.

In a perfect world, all the returns would blow equally. If it's important to you that they are similar, then you can try buying smaller eyeballs which will increase the flow to the further ones. I wouldn't bother unless I had a skimming problem.

What are eyeballs as my return outlet are just PVC tubes?
These
Casey-ReturnEyeball.jpg

I don't know if they make them that fit inside unthreaded pipe. You'll have to browse some pool supply websites to find out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.