Questions on extending red brass conduit from wet niche

smifing

Feb 27, 2024
SD
So I'm at the point where I need to extend the light conduit due to moving the equipment and I'm struggling to land on a solution I like.

I understand that the conduit is red brass and that would be the ideal material to continue to the new junction box. However, I cannot find this material anywhere for purchase. Even my pool guy has mentioned that it's not available.

It's been suggested that I could transition to Grey Schedule 40 PVC but I'm not finding a lot of love on the 3/4" OD to threaded sweat fitting. But according to 680.23(B)(2) I'll need to run a #8 bond inside the conduit along with the new pool light cord to stick to code. I'm pretty sure that pull will not work at all.

Conversely, I'm happy to convert to 12v (since there's no need for the bond according to code) for that run but I'll still need to extend the conduit if someone has some insight towards a best practice transition. I'm extending the bond from the existing pipe back to the junction box regardless but would really appreciate some input on how I should proceed here.

Thanks in advance!

Why can't you leave a pool light junction box wherever the light conduit terminates. Then run a new conduit and cable from the old location to the new location?

Why can't you leave a pool light junction box wherever the light conduit terminates. Then run a new conduit and cable from the old location to the new location?
The previous location that the equipment was moved from (about 8ft total) will be a walkway in our remodel. It would be a trip hazard for sure.

I thought about it for a while but since it has to be above the waterline, I just couldn't figure out a way to do it.

I don't know your layout. Can you put a little curve in the walkway around the junction box location?

As long as you keep the brass conduit above the waterline the joint with electrical PVC does not need to be water tight.

I don't know your layout. Can you put a little curve in the walkway around the junction box location?

As long as you keep the brass conduit above the waterline the joint with electrical PVC does not need to be water tight.
Sure, I understand that point. However, I've already cut the line back to below the deck in preparation to extend. It is what it is. 😑

Here's a pic of the conduit. I need to sweep towards the camera holder, extend probably 7 feet and then sweep again back about a foot towards the house.

1712854753726.png

Reactions: smifing and Newdude
Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
So here’s what I ended up with.

Getting the fitting on was “no sweat”. 😅

Ended up hitting a local plumbing supply for a schedule 80 F adapter to transition; HD didn't have anything worth a Crud. Didn't want to risk cracking it and couldn't wait for shipping.

1712932405479.png

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Note that you can also use a female copper adapter and a male pvc electrical adapter.

It's probably about equal either way.

I might choose the female copper and male pvc just because it is easier to apply tape and or sealant on the male pvc.