Questions after reading ABCs

Finley

Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
I just read and took notes on the ABCs section of Pool School. Before I move on to the next section, I have a couple questions:

What is an example of a product that I can use to add salt to my water? I will not be using a SWG. When I google water softener, I see a lot of calcium hardness related stuff, which I won't be using because my pool is vinyl. I don't know if I should be searching for solar salt, sodium chloride, or something else. I know I should be looking for something 99.4% pure or better.

How do I add the salt? Dump some in, then test until it hits 2,000 ppm? Do test strips show salt levels? I have test strips, but I haven't looked closely at them yet.

I have Clorox chlorine tablets, shock, and ph up. I also have test strips. I need to get ph down. Anything else I'm missing?

What other household chemicals should I keep around besides baking soda, borax and household bleach?

How do I know what my CYA should be? I read the chlorine/cya section of pool school, but I didn't understand it. If I am understanding correctly, it can differ depending on location, what other info do I need to provide?

Last edited:
Why do you want to add salt if you don't plan on using a SWCG? You'll get some salt developing in you pool from the chlorine additions over time. Otherwise, the only reason to add some is for the SWCG.

First thing's first, do you have a testing setup? The TF-100 is recommended. Test strips might not give you the resolution and accuracy you need to maintain the chemicals optimally.

The CYA can be the range shown on this chart: Chlorine / CYA Chart . 30-60 ppm is good and then the free chlorine (FC) is adjusted accordingly. I don't know of any dependence on location for that... maybe someone else will comment if there is one.

First and foremost, let’s ease your mind a bit with a warm WELCOME TO TFP!!!

Let me fast forward you a bit through Pool School to an article that may help you out some.

Having a pool as you do is beneficial at times and simplifies maintenance some. The main things to watch is the chlorine, the chlorine, and the chlorine.

Reactions: rumcglot
First and foremost, let’s ease your mind a bit with a warm WELCOME TO TFP!!!

Let me fast forward you a bit through Pool School to an article that may help you out some.

Having a pool as you do is beneficial at times and simplifies maintenance some. The main things to watch is the chlorine, the chlorine, and the chlorine.
Reading over this now and taking notes, thank you!

I read salt can make the water softer even in a chlorine pool. I have test strips because I bought them before I knew they were unreliable. I'll look into the test kit you recommended.

I don't have to use salt, I just read about it in pool school and thought it might be a good idea.

I must have misunderstood what I read about CYA depending on location. It was when I first started researching, so I'm sure I misremembered.

CYA is basically a sunscreen for the chlorine so the sun won't burn it off too quickly. You want some in the pool, but if it gets too high, it basically renders the chlorine ineffective. The general range is 30-50 PPM for non salt pools. If you live in an area where it is scorching hot all summer, you want the CYA on the high end (50 maybe even 60) because it will keep the chlorine in the pool longer without you having to add more. In a milder climate, 30 ppm is fine. I live in San Jose, CA and it gets pretty hot during the summer. I ran my CYA at 50 PPM to protect the chlorine from the sun. I switched to a SWG (salt water generator) this March so I actually raised my CYA up to 70. So far, so good. The chlorine level has been very stable and no more trips to Home Depot lugging around boxes of liquid chlorine.

CYA is basically a sunscreen for the chlorine so the sun won't burn it off too quickly. You want some in the pool, but if it gets too high, it basically renders the chlorine ineffective. The general range is 30-50 PPM for non salt pools. If you live in an area where it is scorching hot all summer, you want the CYA on the high end (50 maybe even 60) because it will keep the chlorine in the pool longer without you having to add more. In a milder climate, 30 ppm is fine. I live in San Jose, CA and it gets pretty hot during the summer. I ran my CYA at 50 PPM to protect the chlorine from the sun. I switched to a SWG (salt water generator) this March so I actually raised my CYA up to 70. So far, so good. The chlorine level has been very stable and no more trips to Home Depot lugging around boxes of liquid chlorine.
Thank you! I live in MA, so I'll aim for 30-40.

Reactions: IceShadow
I read over the seasonal pool article and others in pool school. I already bought chlorine tablets before reading that liquid chlorine is more highly recommended because the tablets increase CYA. I already got a floater too. Is it okay to use the tablets since my pool is seasonal and will be drained after a few months?

I'm going to go get some liquid chlorine at the store soon so I have something to put in there when I first fill up the pool, since I don't think tablets alone will be enough after my first fill.

Last edited:
It would work - the remedy for your CYA getting too high is to drain the water and replace. The big thing to watch out for is to make sure the CYA doesn't skyrocket on you with the smaller pool, meaning your FC would have to be higher too. That's why the article recommends using liquid chlorine and setting a certain level of CYA - then you know what CYA is in the pool and it won't go up with your chlorination and you know exactly what level of FC you have to maintain. With pucks you're going to have a moving target as the CYA gets higher.

Reactions: Finley
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.