Questions about SLAM, CYA, Vacuum, etc

Smash_57

May 31, 2022
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi! I have a big green monster. It's bad. I started SLAM yesterday. I have the pool math app and I'm trying to figure out how to load that info here (do I have to do it from my phone? I'm typing this on my computer because it's faster that way, lol).
Anyways, questions. Can I accurately measure CYA during slam? When I first did all my tests, my cya was low, so I used one bag of hth shock in addition to the liquid bleach hoping to bump that up just a tad. I've only used liquid bleach since - don't want to have to drain the pool down again if I can avoid it.
The SLAM instructions say to brush and vacuum at least once a day. I've been brushing more than that, mostly because I can't see what I'm brushing so I'm hoping that by doing it more frequently I'll actually get everywhere at least once or twice. The vacuuming, though - does that means manual vac? If so, to filter or waste? I have my dolphin (with the fine filter) running pretty much non stop through the day, rinsing the filter every couple hours.
I'm planning on picking up some pool grade de on Friday when I go to town to add to the filter, but nowhere nearby has it, so I'm out of luck until then.
Could've sworn I had one more question, but I've lost it. I'll post it if I remember.

Thanks!
~Smash

ETA: hopefully this is right

ETA #2 - I remember the other question! When doing the chlorine test, you have the pink water, then add the drops to get it clear again. I've noticed that I'll get it clear, but then if I leave it sitting for a minute, it's starts turning pink again. Do I need to wait for this to happen and continue adding drops, or is the count accurate the first time it goes clear?

Last edited:
- You should be able to do all of your PoolMath updates via a computer. That's what I use 99% of the time.
- Yes, you can get a good CYA reading during the SLAM Process.
-
The vacuuming, though - does that means manual vac? If so, to filter or waste?
Any way you can. If you believe going to WASTE is best with unknown junk on the bottom, that's fine. Just be aware it may lower your FC and CYA levels.

- Hold on the DE. Save that (if even needed) for absolutely the last thing. Right now focus on maintaining the proper SLAM FC level as noted on the FC/CYA Levels for your current CYA.

The SLAM Process works, just be steady and patient.

Thanks! Patience is a lot easier now that I have a proper test kit!
I'll keep mostly using the dolphin. Aside from algae and maybe some dead bugs, there's not much that gets in the pool (no leaves, plant debris, etc).

Was the way I linked my PoolMath logs correct?

~Smash
I can see them from your profile :) A link is here:

Also you can round up the CYA to 30 and just treat for that! Doing a new CYA test is a good way to check, but note that CYA may take 2-3 days to show up on the test after it's added. (I don't know if it takes that long when using trichlor/dichlor too, but it can for granular CYA.)

Yes, I can see you logs.

re: your CC test -- if you let it sit long enough, it will always turn pink again. So test it right away.

Also you can round up the CYA to 30 and just treat for that! Doing a new CYA test is a good way to check, but note that CYA may take 2-3 days to show up on the test after it's added. (I don't know if it takes that long when using trichlor/dichlor too, but it can for granular CYA.)
Perfect, thanks!

What also works well for your progress details, is to take a picture once a day at the same spot, i.e. at the stairs or something. That way you can compare photos and see your progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What also works well for your progress details, is to take a picture once a day at the same spot, i.e. at the stairs or something. That way you can compare photos and see your progress.
Great idea! I've been going off of how far I can see the steps. Definitely a small improvement since yesterday.

~Smash

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.