Jul 5, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,
Freshly filled pool that started on this past Sunday, so we’ve been up and running just the past few days!

I got my water tested at a local pool place on 7/2. Per their recommendation, that evening I added 2 cups of stabilizer into my skimmer basket. A few hours later I added 2 gallons of liquid chlorine. We had a pool party yesterday.

Today I went back to the pool store and was given this paper test result. This evening I added just under 19 oz of muriatic acid, and about 45 min later 2 gallons of liquid chlorine based off their recommendation.

Test Results before MA/LC addition:
FC .09
TC .09
CC 0
CYA 2
pH 8.1
TA 123

I have a few questions:
1. Does this sound like a good/correct regimen to follow so far? My pool seems ok but I should be receiving my Taylor K2006 tomorrow and can experiment myself. The guys at the store seem trustworthy but I was under the impression once my pool is balanced, I would be adding much smaller amounts of chlorine at a time on a frequent basis as opposed to gallons at a time? He seemed to imply that because were in AZ, it’s a ton of liquid chlorine regularly?

2. Where do you store your 31.5% muriatic acid? Where do you store a few gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine? Where do you store powdered stabilizer? My options are laundry room, garage, a plastic deck box or storage shed outside in backyard.

3. As far as CYA granules, I put 2 cups slowly into the Embassy skimmer basket and I noticed it was gone very quickly but I saw some granules in the pump. I have ran my filter almost 24 hours a day since Thursday to circulate the chemical and employee told me it would take 6-8 days from 7/2 to see the “true impact” of the 2 cups of CYA. The level was 1 on Thursday and today he said it was 2. Is it really going to spike up a noticeable amount in the next few days or did I do something wrong? Don’t want to overdo the CYA but did I do enough?

Obviously I can test myself soon (once I learn how to use it lol) and get the results of what I actually did to my pool tonight, but I am wondering if the current track I’m taking seems accurate and safe.

Thanks for any advice and thanks for reading my lengthy post if you did.

Attachments

• A45C99B6-3460-451F-8F2D-4C1DF37BA575.jpeg
    A45C99B6-3460-451F-8F2D-4C1DF37BA575.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 8F625DEA-DDF2-4624-96A3-A510E7338A8B.jpeg
    8F625DEA-DDF2-4624-96A3-A510E7338A8B.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 5

Welcome to TFP :wave:

You've come to the right place. Good that you ordered already your test kit. Once you can post your test results, we can guide you into the right direction.

In the meantime, read the articles in Allen's post, that will probably answer most of your questions already.

Muriatic Acid should be stored outside in a ventilated plastic container, not in the sun, not together with chlorine. Check this article for more details:

CYA takes a long time to dissolve, we recommend the sock method to add it to the pool, more details here:

I'd suggest you add enough Chlorine each day to get it to 5ppm for now until you can run your own tests and post your results. How much you need for that you can calculate with the PoolMath App:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.