Questions about bestway agp sizing

I hope you vacuumed up the stabilizer on pool bottom. Can stain your liner. I’d throw that sock instead another that doesn’t have holes.

Wait a day or two to test, and add chlorine as if the stabilizer is already showing up on test.
Ok, I didn't vacuum up the stabilizer, will do that tonight/tomorrow, thank you for the advice. Appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: kellyfair
So confused here. I did the free and combined chlorine test and the solution never turned pink which according to some other thread I found that says there's no chlorine. DPD-FAS test water doesn't turn pink

So, I did the cya test and it's around the 38 mark.

I'm reading this as I need to add chlorine asap... Should I even bother doing the other tests yet? Going to start running low on some of these regents, lol

EDIT: Just added another 2.5L of chlorine... Not sure what I'm either doing wrong or what should I do next. Probably wait until tomorrow to test again since it's not a full 48hrs since adding the stabilizer.

Last edited:
After you added chlorine, how long did you wait to do the FC test that gave you 0 for a result?

Reactions: koffey
I added chlorine on Monday, so it's been 3 days...
Chlorine is a consumable. It is constantly being degraded by any organics that hit the pool water, and UV radiation from the sun. In the Summer sun, a daily loss of 2-4ppm of FC per day is to be expected.

You should test and add chlorine to the pool every day to bring it back to the high end of your target range. Once you get a feel for your pool, you may be able to test every other day or so and just "know" how much chlorine you're going to need to add -- but especially if your pool is uncovered, you should expect to add chlorine every day.

It's been very sunny here and I haven't covered it, so that would explain it. I'll test tomorrow and see what results I get. Read that adding in the evening is best as well, which I haven't done, been adding it during the day. Thank you for the advise.

It doesn’t matter what time you add it as long as you are adding enough to replace what you are losing, and always keeping it above the minimum for your CYA. So, with a CYA of 40, your rock bottom minimum for FC is 3, and your target range is 5-7. I personally go a little higher, so if this were my pool I‘d shoot for 8. Then, as I learn how much I usually consume per day, I would add enough to get me back to 8.

Never be tempted to only dose to your minimum, as that will mean you spend a good bit of time below minimum. Hello, algae.

Just tested and fc is currently 2, cya 39-40, added some chlorine yesterday with some stabilizer and left it over night, so about 15hrs. Just added some more chlorine and will test again in a few hours.

Am I doing this right?

Just tested and fc is currently 2, cya 39-40, added some chlorine yesterday with some stabilizer and left it over night, so about 15hrs. Just added some more chlorine and will test again in a few hours.

Am I doing this right?
How much of what % chlorine did you add?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
10.3%, and used 1/2L 2.15hrs ago
I would estimate your 22x12, 48in pool at about 6900 gallons / 26000 liters. According to PoolMath, 500mL of 10% liquid chlorine in that volume of water would raise FC by 1.9.

You are likely consuming about 4ppm of FC per day this time of year. So you should probably be adding at least twice the amount you added on a nightly basis (1L).

At a CYA of 40, you never, ever, want your FC level to go below 3. 5 to 7 is ideal. (FC/CYA Levels)

I would test the FC level now, and then add enough to get up to 7ppm.
If you're at 1-2, I'd add 1.5L
If you're at 3-4, I'd add 1L
If you're at 5-6, I'd add 0.5L

Then, do that each night. But you should never be below 3ppm when you test. If you are, you'll need to look at raising your target or bumping your CYA a small amount.

Thank you so much. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this. Post an update shortly!

So, about 5 FC so I'll dump some more chlorine as you instructed and test again in about 30-60mins.

EDIT 2hrs later: So I might have initially miscounted. Right now the FC is 4.5. I can't see that much being lost so using my current test, I added another 1L and will test again shortly.

Last edited:
Just hit 7, fantastic. Thank you all for the advise. I'm going to shoot for 8, do another test before bed and test it again in the morning. I'll run all the other test at that time as well.

Reactions: magiteck and Pv2
Once you get a feel for what your 24 hour loss is, you should be able to dose once per day - personally I just do every night. Add enough so that you're above your average daily loss + your minimum, and then you're good for another day.

So if your minimum is 3, and average daily loss is 4 (as an example) then you should be able to dose to ~ 8. That way the next day you would still be at ~ 4, comfortably above your minimum.

Reactions: koffey and Newdude
Also, There is zero harm in going over. Even way over….. all the way to SLAM. There is lotsa lotsa harm in going under. Feel free to add an extra FC or 3 anytime.

Never had the opportunity to test yesterday, but at 11am this morning it was FC was 8. Will test it again same time tomorrow to see how much it drops and than I'll know how to deal with at least the FC.

Thanks to all that helps.

Hi folks, another chemical question. So I've done all the tests and TA is 130, ph is off the charts purple. Reading that unless there is a problem, I shouldn't have to worry about about either unless there's a problem. CYA is 40 and FC is 8. Should I try to lower the TA? Again, really appreciate the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.