Question regarding Kits

Rona0423

Oct 11, 2020
Olive Branch, MS
Hi all,

I posted a while back on a new build. That finished in the fall last year and outside of throwing the salt in and a little shock, the PB didn't do much else. He did go through how to work the pump and everything needed but he was of the mindset outside of the strips I didn't need anything else. He's old school. Good guy but old school. Fast forward to this spring. I reached out about getting it all set because we did not do any stabilizer or anything last year when it was finished - It was almost November. Pool was open all winter, ran pump every few days. He left an 8 lb bag of stabilizer and a 25lb bucket of shock. He said put 2 1/2 scoops of Shock in and then 1/4 of the bag of stabilizer in one skimmer and 1/4 in other skimmer. Next day finish the stabilizer off. Pretty sure it was a 2lb scoop (Pool is 28,000 gallons) soooo should have been 1 1/2 scoops, not 2 1/2 of shock. Here's where the strips/kit comes in. For 2-3 weeks the FC on the strip has been pegged as high as it could, (dark purple - 10+). The FC on the strip has started to come down to closer to normal (still high). I have basically left the SWG (IC-40) off and it's still off. I planned to turn it back on once FC got to normal. Stabilizer shows none (even after that 8lb but I read that TA being low could throw that reading off?)- Is it possible the mass shock burned it off? TA was super low but I put a bit of Baking Soda in so it came up a bit but not where it should be according to the strip. PH is close to where it should be.

All that said, I am getting a kit. The pool is in good shape so I don't see needing the TF-100 XL, maybe the TF-100. That or the K2006. The K2006 seems like a better deal price wise or am I missing something? The $12 shipping on the TF-100 is a put off so need to get it to $100 for free shipping if that's the better value? Can anyone offer a suggestion in this regard? I'd like to get the kit soon so I can get everything in check before I do have a problem.

See attached picture of pool currently.Pool 1.jpg

pH from a strip is normally the only parameter than can be kind of close. So if you have decent pH and clear water, you are good until you get your kit. I would set the SWCG to generate at least 1.5 to 2 ppm FC per day.

The TF100 with a salt test kit and a Smartstir is over $100 for free shipping. Or just get the TFPro Salt.
The K2006 is all 0.75 oz bottles of reagent. So you would need refills for FAS-DPD and CYA within a month or so.

Reactions: cowboycasey
At 100% setting, the pump would need to run for 6-8 hours per day to generate 1.5 to 2 ppm FC in a 28000 gallon pool. Use Effects of Adding chemicals in PoolMath
Your SWCG is undersized. So hopefully your electrical rates are low with that single speed pump.

You and I actually had a conversation when I originally joined last year regarding that dang pump. Right now, the plan is to run it 24/7. Hindsight, would have pressed for VSP but what's done is done and am where I am. PB says let it run 24/7. No doubt make it easier to keep clean but it's going to cost about $100/mo. Roughly $0.10/kWh. We went through the math previously you and I.

If it's running 24/7 it looks like the SWG would need to be between 25 - 33%, so sounds like it would need to run @ 40% if I am going to run it 24/7?

I just can't fathom the wrath that would rain down on me after spending $48,000 (cash) on the pool if I went to the boss and told her we needed to spend another $1,500+ on another pump! :ROFLMAO:
Hey Rona !!! Look at THAT !!! A Rona I actually LIKE..... It’s about Gol Darn time, I tell you whut!!

Anywho, there is a massive shortage of equipment out there and equally massive demand right now. That almost brand spanking new pump would probably fetch full price (or close to it) on FP marketplace or the OfferUp App. And in record time too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.