pH: 7.6
FC: 6.5/7.0
CC: 0
TA: 65/70
CH: 215
CA: less than 30 (around 20)
Temp: 90
Salt: 3100/3200

I plan on keeping the pool opened throughout the year.

I lowered my SWG from 12hrs/63% to 12hrs/33% to bring FC down to 3.0/4.0.

I plan on bringing my CH level up to 230. If I do, is this an exceptavle level as long as I do not drop my CSI lower than -3.0? I know the recommendation here is 250-350. My hose water is softened, so I shouldn't have issues with CH levels increasing naturally over time, unless I start to absorb calcium from the plaster.

It looks like my pool is doing a good job holding it's FC levels despite a rather low CA level. I'll probably look to bring CA up closer to 40/45 to reduce the load on salt cell, but I know here at TFP the recommendation is a minimun of 60, with FC at 4.0. I'd like to keep my CA level as low as possible. Can someone explain why I should target a minimum of 60 versus a lower level that works well at protecting chlorine from sun?

Thanks in advance,
GD.

I would increase the CH to at least 250 to be safe. As long as your TA and pH don't fall too low, it will be fine. As for the CYA, we recommend a higher level because it helps preserve the chlorine generate throughout the day by the salt cell. In the summer, pools with a lot of intense sunlight generally need that additional CYA protection. Even up north in the colder regions, I would probably not let my CYA drop below 50 just to make life easier on the cell. The easier you make it on the cell (less run time and/or output), the longer it will last.

Thanks for feedback. Controlling my calcium hardness levels should be manageable because I can lower my levels from added rain and hose water (I have a water softener).

Case in point, my CH level was around 220 five days ago. I added enough Calcium Chloride to increase things to about 235. Two days ago my water level was reading low at about 1.75 inches from bottom of skimmer so I added enough hose water to bring the level up to 2.75", only for a thunderstorm to roll in hours later and bring my level close to the top at about 4.5" from the skimmer bottom. When I tested my CH just now it's reading 210. The almost 3" of rain and hose water lowered my CH level by approximately 25 points.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.