Question on freshly poured spa spillway

• Thread starter Deleted member 312768
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 312768

Hello everyone! My PB just did the gunite today - we never discussed how wide to make the spa spillway - I just looked at it and it is alot more narrow than I was wanting. No mention of measurements in the plans - is it too late to ask him to come back and maybe use a wet saw to open it up 6 inches wider? The gunite was JUST poured this morning....please let me know if this is unheard of, or if it's a request they may be able to assist with,
Thank you

Your PB will not be happy but chopping up gunite is doable. There may be some rebar he also needs to cut out.

Can you use marble or granite on a spillway stone? My PB told me to find an 18x38 piece of (travertine/flagstone) stone and I'm having a really hard time!

Does anyone know, if they grout a seam in the middle of spillway stone - will it effect the waterfall? I am having a hard time finding the correct size I need. I have a piece already but want to make sure if it is seamed the waterfall will be "seamless" you know what i mean :)

Any joint - no matter how well done - will eventually affect how the water flows off the spillway.
Maybe check at a tile store or granite supplier - they may have a leftover piece that can be cut as one piece to fit the spillway without the need for a joint.

If the piece overhangs the spillway, a small groove should be cut the full width into the underside of the piece to prevent the water from finding its way to the vertical surface below the overhanging spillway.

I may be too late to the party, but too narrow may not be a real problem. I have a nice wide one, and at the normal speed we run the pump--1600 rpm--and the divide of water between spa and pool, there is barely a trickle over the edge. We could divert more water to the spa, but then we'd not get all the benefit of multiple returns equalizing the water temp. Another point. Spillover aerates the water, which can tend to raise the pH. So if you haven't widened the spillover already, you might want to reconsider.

Seam is fine in a spillway stone. I have one. You just need to maintain the grout as it will erode.

You should see the seam in the pic below.

IMG_1255 (Small).JPG

Reactions: Cena_sea
Seam is fine in a spillway stone. I have one. You just need to maintain the grout as it will erode.

You should see the seam in the pic below.

View attachment 396685
Yeah, but that seam is technically in an outside corner - not in a straight run - so the disruption at the seam isn't easily noticed.

BTW - is that your aeration setup?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, but that seam is technically in an outside corner - not in a straight run - so the disruption at the seam isn't easily noticed.

The OP did not say where the seam would be located.

The seam pointed to the corner does work with the direction of the flow.

BTW - is that your aeration setup?

Plaster company set it up to treat a scaling problem with low pH.

Can you use marble or granite on a spillway stone? My PB told me to find an 18x38 piece of (travertine/flagstone) stone and I'm having a really hard time!
You may want to consider not using flagstone. We have seen many reports of flagstone shedding layers unevenly. If that were to happen, the waterflow could look uneven over the spillway.

Any joint - no matter how well done - will eventually affect how the water flows off the spillway.
Maybe check at a tile store or granite supplier - they may have a leftover piece that can be cut as one piece to fit the spillway without the need for a joint.

If the piece overhangs the spillway, a small groove should be cut the full width into the underside of the piece to prevent the water from finding its way to the vertical surface below the overhanging spillway.
Thank you! Do you know how far underneath it should be cut? at least an inch?

I may be too late to the party, but too narrow may not be a real problem. I have a nice wide one, and at the normal speed we run the pump--1600 rpm--and the divide of water between spa and pool, there is barely a trickle over the edge. We could divert more water to the spa, but then we'd not get all the benefit of multiple returns equalizing the water temp. Another point. Spillover aerates the water, which can tend to raise the pH. So if you haven't widened the spillover already, you might want to reconsider.
interesting...yes, we had them cut it to 34", the smaller width just looked funny, the spa is round, 7'

what's the width on your pool? It's gorgeous!!!

The OP did not say where the seam would be located.

The seam pointed to the corner does work with the direction of the flow.

Plaster company set it up to treat a scaling problem with low pH.
the seam would be right in the center, going the same direction as water flow - but my set up is a curved (round) spa spillway.

I think 18x38 would be hard to find. I think one piece of stone would look awesome but might have to be custom cut?

Edit: Sorry read more carefully. I think if you have the material and it’s nicely grouted it’ll loook awesome too. I’m assuming they will grout to try and match the material.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.