Question on deck jets at different elevations

BlueWRXPride

Jun 18, 2020
Syracuse, NY
First time poster here, so far this site has proven to be very useful! I'm working on a plan for a backyard pool project which is going to happen in August. Attached is the current plan for the backyard. My question is on our three planned deck jets. The patio with the fire pit is about 18" higher than the rest of the stuff with a set up steps down on either side. The boulders on the "south east" side of the fire pit patio would be flush with the paver patio, and 18" down to the concrete apron. We thought it would be cool to have 2 of our deck jets at the upper level right between the pavers and the boulders, shooting over the concrete apron, and into the pool. The lower deck jet would be between the boulder and the start of the concrete apron.

I talked to my pool installer about this and they had some concerns.
First, he was concerned about having the deck jets come from the landscaping area, because in that case they are not set in the concrete to hold them perfectly in place. Is that a valid concern?

Second, he said it wouldn't work well to have 2 jets 18" higher than the other one due to the additional working against gravity, and it would result in the upper jets not reaching as far, when those two actually need to reach further. I asked about the plumbing and he said that when they do jets they just have one shutoff valve and plumb them in a line with a cap on the end. They're concerned that with one adjustment valve it wouldn't be possible to get them all reaching the appropriate distance.

I did some reading on here and I've seen people recommend having individual adjustment valves, or using a continuous equalization loop to balance the pressure, but it sounds like the installer doesn't do this typically. (This area doesn't have a great pool market) I gotta imagine that something like this is not unreasonable to do, but like I said, I'm new to this. What do the experts here think?

Attachments

• landscape plan.jpg
    landscape plan.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to the forum!

If you want the jets to be equal, you will need a valve on each line or at least on the pair of jets at the lower elevation. Loops or headers will not help in this case.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

If you want the jets to be equal, you will need a valve on each line or at least on the pair of jets at the lower elevation. Loops or headers will not help in this case.

Thanks. So what if I had all 3 on the upper patio shooting over the apron into the pool? Are their concerns valid about not having them set in concrete? If there were app 3 up top, would it be ok to plumb them just in a line, or is a loop still critical?

There are several issues with not having a ridge support. If someone steps on it, it could break or change the pointing direction so it misses the pool. However, they could add concrete to wherever they place the jets.

I'm sure other, smarter people will chime in but I can think of two issues: The jets can play a significant role in the skimming process by steering debris to the skimmer. Your plan would likely disrupt that process. This is of greater importance in some pools than others. Second, if I understand correctly, you would effectively have two or three water jets splashing into the water which will cause aeration and elevate pH levels, making maintenance a little more challenging.

Ok, so potential pH challenges acknowledged, it sounds like if I have them at different elevations, they MUST have individual valves. Also, if not in the concrete apron, it would be good to put some concrete around the jet to make sure it is secured. So what if I put all 3 from the upper level? Is an equalization loop critical? Or can they just be plumbed in a line?

I did an analysis some time back of loops vs headers. Bottom line is that it doesn't really help that much unless the lines are small and the flow rates are high. Keep the lines to the jets large and branch to smaller lines and series fed is good enough.

I did an analysis some time back of loops vs headers. Bottom line is that it doesn't really help that much unless the lines are small and the flow rates are high. Keep the lines to the jets large and branch to smaller lines and series fed is good enough.

Thanks, there's some good info there. Any chance you could repost the diagram you had in that post? Even without that, the takeaway I gather is that the plumbing isn't that critical with regards to jets, especially if you're not needing to have each one identical, which I'm not. So I think the general answer I am getting is either have the jets at the two levels but with individual valves, or put them all up top, and one valve with the jets plumbed in series. If up top, don't put the jets in the landscaping, and rather put some concrete around them, or put them in the border pavers of the firepit patio to hold them secure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.