Question on AquaRite AQR Instant Salinity = 0

bobandsherry

Bronze Supporter
Apr 20, 2016
Riverview, FL
Just had Hayward AquaRite AQR installed after problems I had with AutoPilot Digital Nano system. When PB installed the new unit he went over the diagnostics. After problem with AutoPilot I want to keep an eye on the new SWG to be sure it's working right. I checked the diagnostics today and had these readings:

Power Light and Generating were steady green, all other lights off.

Average Salinity Reading: 3300
1. Pool temperature: 78
2. Cell voltage: 31.1
3. Cell current Amp: 0
4. Desired Output %: 40P
5. Instant salinity: -0
6. Product Code: AL-0
7. Software revision level: 1.59

I understand that if the Cell Voltage is 30+ the unit is not generating. I turned the unit on/off and waited for the click, the unit then did show Voltage = 26.6, Amp=4.52, Instant Salinity 3300.

Where I'm unclear is if the current amp should then be 0 and more importantly if the instant salinity should still have a reading of if -0 is what it should show. I originally was thinking that an instant reading should show what the current conditions are for the instant salinity. Is it OK for the unit to show "0" for Instant Salinity during normal operations? I've looked in the manual and didn't see anything mentioned.

The SWG cycles on and off depending on the % output that you set. I think it is a 2 or 3 hour cycle. So on for 40% of the time period and then off for the rest. When not generating, the instant salt and amps will be 0.

With Firmware Revision 1.55 (5/8/2009) the cycle time changed from 120 minutes (2 hrs) to 180 minutes (3 hours).

So, at 40%, it will be on for 72 minutes then off for 108 minutes and then it reverses polarity and a new cycle begins.

The power and generating lights are both on whenever the switch is in auto or superchlorinate; even when not actually generating.

Thanks JamesW. This too should be information in the manual. Good to know.

If I were designing the system I'd have the "generating" light on only when it was actually generating otherwise it seems to be redundant with "power", but they didn't ask for my input :)

The original units of the AquaRite had the generating light go off between cycles. This generated tons of calls asking if something was wrong. After a while we went to the light being on for the whole cycle. It will blink if there is a temp problem.

The original units of the AquaRite had the generating light go off between cycles. This generated tons of calls asking if something was wrong. After a while we went to the light being on for the whole cycle. It will blink if there is a temp problem.
Interesting. Perhaps most people simply glance at the panel and don't bother to look at the diagnostics. I would think if the manual stated that generation light was on/off based on it actively producing chlorine then people wouldn't call. I was almost one on the other side being totally confused to see an indicator light that it was generating when diagnostics showed it wasn't. Fortunately I had this great forum to tap into or I would have called my PB or Hayward.

As constructive feedback, it may be worth noting in next update to the manual that amps and instant salinity will show 0 when cell is not producing chlorine and that generating light will be on steady unless pool water temp is too high or too low. In short term maybe FAQ's on Hayward site could be updated to include this information. In addition to looking at the manual I also looked on Hayward website FAQ's and saw nothing regarding this.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.