Question: Does rain increase or decrease pH?

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
San Rafael, CA USA
The pH of rain is generally acidic due to the dissolved carbon dioxide (carbonic acid) from the air as well as from other acidic sources (nitric and sulfuric acids). However, the TA (pH buffering) of rain is fairly low so the effect of rain on pool pH is minimal from the rain itself (unless it is very, very acidic). Generally, rain increases aeration of the pool water so will raise the pH of the water as a result.

If you dilute the pool with a lot of rain water, but don't have it splash into the pool, then the pH will likely drop slowly. If you let the raindrops splash into the pool, then the pH may go up at first and then slowly drop if there is enough dilution of the water.

So last last week I added 4 lbs of borax to bring my pH up to 7.4. Tested on Saturday and it was at 7.4. Sunday and Monday we got a pretty good amount of rain. Water in pull increased by about 1/4"-1/2" (somewhere in between). Last night I tested pH, and it was back down to 7.2. I am assuming this was due to the rain?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.