Dan Prokosch

Jun 27, 2021
Maplewood, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
we have a 24' above ground/deep end doughboy pool, have had it since we bought our house 22 years ago. I've replaced liners twice, installed a heater, replaced basically everything a couple of times, so I'm not a newbie to pool functions, but I'm wondering about SWG conversions and the economies of doing so. I'm in MN so we have about a 5 month pool season even with the heater.

my basic question is how long do the electrodes last? I'm happy to install an SWG system myself, but if the electrodes only last a couple of years, does it really pay for itself? what's the break even point? how are warranties? Just wondering if it's worth the investment. Thanks in advance...

From what I have read on other posts an SWG costs about the same of the LC you would be using with the advantage it will add chlorine form the salt on you water (less work), but with the cost upfront.

A SWG cell will last an amount of chlorine generated. So an oversized cell will last longer per dollar than a smaller one. Also when the cell eventually fail you can replace just the cell.

Other folks with experience on SWG will certainly be able to give you a better explanation.

Unit is rated at 180w max, so roughly 1kwh of electricity is used for generation, my local cost is 12 cents per day (or $3.60 per month)

Reactions: AK-
thanks for the replies. it's a tough sell for me if I'm ballparking $200 for chlorine this year. I first looked into this 6-8 years ago and it was $1000 up front and I was only spending $100/yr on chlorine, I really think even with chlorine prices spiking this year the economics are not quite there...

1624846307348.png

Reactions: Rich807
If your pool is smaller, it would take you longer time to break even.

I am using the retail price on the calculation.

But SWG you are buying convenience (or your time cost), if you live very close to a store you can buy Chlorine at $200 per year, your break even time is over 4 years on good setup.

There are cheap dumb SWG unit that is under $400 OTD and rated for 20K gallon, so if you decide to go with that one, your break even point is less than 2 years.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I did a cost analysis for myself recently & shared it on this thread 👇 post #53

Reactions: Rich807
I was only spending 50ish a month on LC in the summer and 1/4 of that in the winter, so 1200 bucks on a SWG didnt really add up number wise. I did it so I didnt have to lug bottles of bleach from the store every month. Its hard to put a price on that. Also the water is softer. I really dont notice it anymore until I swim in a manually chlorinated pool and see how dry my skin is.

I had an older (10 yr) Jandy Aquapure that I had a lot of trouble with, so I quit using it and started using LC for 2 years. At the end of last season I decided to replace the Jandy and get another SWG and quit the LC. The stress of "will the store have chlorine today? How many places will I have to go to get 8 gallons? Will the pool be green when I get back from vacation?" was just not worth it to me. So if you are strictly looking at dollars and cents, it might not make sense to you, but I was tired of the constant anxiety and babysitting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had an older (10 yr) Jandy Aquapure that I had a lot of trouble with, so I quit using it and started using LC for 2 years. At the end of last season I decided to replace the Jandy and get another SWG and quit the LC. The stress of "will the store have chlorine today? How many places will I have to go to get 8 gallons? Will the pool be green when I get back from vacation?" was just not worth it to me. So if you are strictly looking at dollars and cents, it might not make sense to you, but I was tired of the constant anxiety and babysitting.
When I say I use LC and dose it every day people think that is a big deal… the real big deal is getting the LC.

Reactions: Nectarologist
When I say I use LC and dose it every day people think that is a big deal… the real big deal is getting the LC.
That does to seem to be an issue in some places. We switched to a SWCG last year so don't have much of a need for LC but I did pick up a few cases a couple months back *in case* I need to SLAM. My go-to place (Atwoods) has had inventory issues (at least the website shows, I haven't been there to confirm lately) but Wal Mart does have it, but are limiting quantity to 4 gallons a day per customer. If I had no LC on hand and had to SLAM, I would not be too thrilled with trying to find enough.

My Hayward T-CELL15 lasted 8+ seasons and died this year. I'm in MD and run my pool for 7 months. Probably 6 months with the SWCG operating. Replacement cost this year was $650 for OEM for a new cell.

For me it's less about economy (actually it's zero about economy) but about ease and consistency. East being just bi-weekly FC tests unless I'm away, and adjusting the setting based on part of the season (I'm at my high setting for the season now with warm water and max sunlight). There is zero chance I'd deal with buying bleach and testing/dosing daily. That sounds like, if not trouble, then at least too much work.

I found with mine when the pool gets warm in the summer 90˚+ is common the SWG could not keep up still needed to add chlorine, then factor in the cell went bad first year they did replace it. Third year the circuit board went bad they did replace it. then it went bad again I was over it. I saved nothing all I got was frustration I refer to it now as $1000. thermometer IMO they are a waste of money worst investment I've made for my pool.

• Sad
Reactions: aztodd
I found with mine when the pool gets warm in the summer 90˚+ is common the SWG could not keep up still needed to add chlorine, then factor in the cell went bad first year they did replace it. Third year the circuit board went bad they did replace it. then it went bad again I was over it. I saved nothing all I got was frustration I refer to it now as $1000. thermometer IMO they are a waste of money worst investment I've made for my pool.
That's too bad that you had a negative experience. That's definitely the minority of what we see here. SWCG's not keeping up are for two reasons - improperly sized too small, or chemistry issues such as a nascent algae outbreak (though water is still clear). Certainly some do have technical issues with them, as they are electronic devices - and some brands are better than others I suppose - you obviously had some bad luck. It's unfortunate that a great tool is off of your list.

That's too bad that you had a negative experience. That's definitely the minority of what we see here. SWCG's not keeping up are for two reasons - improperly sized too small, or chemistry issues such as a nascent algae outbreak (though water is still clear). Certainly some do have technical issues with them, as they are electronic devices - and some brands are better than others I suppose - you obviously had some bad luck. It's unfortunate that a great tool is off of your list.
Regardless of my experience the SWG is more about convenience saving money

Last edited:
This is my first season with a SWCG and I couldn't be happier. Even during a heatwave with 117° temps all week the pool was crystal clear and FC stable with no algae in sight. We have young kids, so the convenience is well worth it for us.

Regardless of my experience the SWG is more about convenience saving money

It is also about saving money. A balanced pool is a cheaper pool. Pucks lead to high CYA levels. Liquid chlorine requires consistent testing and additions. If you go a few days for one reason or another without adding, you risk spending more money on an algae outbreak. A SWG lets me go long stretches without having to do anything to the pool. I have had one algae outbreak during the last 15 years of pool ownership.

It is also about saving money. A balanced pool is a cheaper pool. Pucks lead to high CYA levels. Liquid chlorine requires consistent testing and additions. If you go a few days for one reason or another without adding, you risk spending more money on an algae outbreak. A SWG lets me go long stretches without having to do anything to the pool. I have had one algae outbreak during the last 15 years of pool ownership.
The only time I use pucks if I'm gone for over a week (once a year) which is very seldom your assuming something. For me I didn't save a dime all I got was Frustration

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.