Question about Tftestkits R-0012 solution for CH

Cyclist7531

Bronze Supporter
Jun 27, 2019
Central Valley California
Awhile ago I ordered some replacement solutions from Tftestkits and one in particular has me puzzled. It’s the R-0012 for the CH. With the original solution that came with my TF-100 I was getting a reading of around 525. Now when using the new solution it’s coming in around 800. Any thoughts would be helpful
I’m using the instructions that came with the TF-100 kit which states using a 10ml sample

thanks

Droplet size could be different depending on how you are holding the reagent bottle (vertical) and if you are squeezing the bottle (you should not be). Also any metal interference can make the transition from red/violet to blue difficult to see. As you get to higher CH levels, I find a need to let the sample sit several seconds before the next drop. Also, do you have a Speedstir? Nearly imperative at higher CH levels.
How long ago did you test the 525 vs the current 800?

Yep using a speedstir. I don’t think anything has changed in my process from when I was using the original bottle of r-0012 reagent to this new bottle. Doing everything noted in your post, vertical bottle and no squeezing, etc. I was using the original bottle for maybe 5 months since I don’t check ch more than once a week or so and the ch was always in the 525-550 range then when I switched to this bottle is when it jumped up.

Most water sources in the 'Central Valley' of California have hard water. So if your CH has been steady at the 525 ppm level for some time, I would be suspect of that data. Test your fill water CH as Dave asks.

I just had the same thing happen. When I switched out my new hardness reagents my CH went from 375 to 550. I just ordered a new refill kit and will do a comparison between the two.

Sorry for not responding sooner. Here is what I found. I swapped the tip from the old bottle to the new bottle and my CH went from 800 to 650. I tested the water going through my autofill with the old top and it’s 175. This is exactly what it was a couple months ago. Also just to add last Feb the builder did an acid bath on my plaster to address some issues we had which drove my CH up. I’ve just managed it throughout the summer but now plan to do a partial water change to try and bring my CH down some. Anyway from what I can tell it looks like the tip from the bottle may be part of my issue.

Anyway from what I can tell it looks like the tip from the bottle may be part of my issue.
Anything is possible but the tips are actually quite uniform. The drop size is determined by the rounded shape of the tip head.

As you GENTLY let the solution begin to form on the tip, surface tension holds the fluid onto the tip until enough fluid is formed that gravity overcomes the surface tension and the drop falls off.

Unless you can see VERY noticeable damage on the shape of the tip head, it is likely not the tip.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With a fill water CH of 175, your CH can not stay the same over a five month period. CH accumulates just as CYA does.

So, if your CH from 5 months ago was around 500, a CH of 800 today would be perfectly normal. (rough numbers.....not exact)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.