Question about sump line for pool / any recourse on excessive billing fees?

Mary97

Oct 3, 2020
Michigan
So I'm currently in the process of an inground vinyl liner build in Michigan. 18' X 40' with a deep end. Initially I was quoted for a sump line because "I might need it depending on how much clay is in the soil." OK ... there was less clay in the soil than anticipated. I asked about the sump pump and kept getting an "I don't know" answer. Fast forward to the pool is in the ground and backfilled. I asked about the sump line again because I do not see an opening for one at the surface. I was told that one was never ordered so it wasn't installed. I asked if it needed to be installed. I was then told that they decided that it didn't need to be installed ahead of time so it was never ordered. Seems sketchy, but OK. Next day I get another message saying that in fact they did install one and it is connected directly to my pool equipment below the ground. What? I thought they had a tube coming up to the surface? Is this even a possibility or am I right to think that they are trying to bill me for something they didn't provide.

Also, they more than doubled my excavation fees from the estimate they gave me (22.5 hours of dumptruck and bobcat time instead of the estimated 10). I know that there dump truck broke down and they ended up having to subcontract. They also charged me 12.5 hours for excavator time even though it took 7 hours because they included travel time from another city and in addition charged me an extra $700 for "travel expenses for excavator and dumptruck." I'm going to be having discussions with them about these fees but so far I'm not really getting anywhere. I will say that overall, the install looks good and went in quickly but I think I am paying for their poor planning and lack of organization. They showed up with no dump truck, no plan for sand, no idea where to dump the dirt that was excavated and gave me less than half a days notice of when they wanted to access the fire hydrant so I wasn't able to make it happen until the next day. I'm sure they paid extra to provide these services quickly but don't feel like that cost should be passed on to me.

Oh ... also they wouldn't allow me to hire a local electrician or have their electrician come early to check out my situation because I was sure that I needed a panel upgrade. Their electrician finally came the day after they finished installing the pool and told me I needed a panel upgrade and to find a local electrician. So I found a local electrician and now have to sit waiting for a week while he pulls permits and coordinates with the power company to shut off the power for the panel upgrade. Only upside to that is that I saved money by finding my own electrician!

This company was more expensive than most by at least $10,000 and now are adding these crazy extra charges. I do not know what recourse I have? Any help with that or an answer to my sump line question? Thank you if you read this far! Ugh.

We do not give legal advice.

Estimates are exactly that, an estimate and not a fixed price contract. If you wanted a fixed price for a scope of work you should have asked for it.

When the billing clock starts and stops should have been discussed.

You are within your right to ask for time sheets and logs to support all hourly charges before you pay.

A sump line is independent of the pool equipment. They should be able to show you where the sump line begins and ends.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.