Question about high fc and phosphates

Thethreetheory77

Apr 8, 2020
Longwood, Florida
I had a pool repairman come today to fix our pool light and to look at a slow drip from our pump. He changed my lever to mostly open drain/closed skimmer (80/20). He said the drain should work more than the skimmer but I thought otherwise so had it set at 80/20 skimmer-drain. Anyhow, he was a little irritated that I didn’t have a floater in the pool and I explained that I use liquid chlorine only. He stated that high levels are bad for the pool and people but didn’t elaborate on why. I was wondering why people think this? I did too before I started tfp and still don’t exactly know the answer lol. Also he said my pool water appeared cloudy. I personally see a crystal clear pool and when still I can the screws attached the main drain clear as day. He gave me anxiety because I didn’t exactly know how to rebuttal him and then I started questioning myself. He said I must have phosphates in the pool (which I do at 300) but I was under the impression that phosphates aren’t really that important? My cya is 60. I dose my fc to 10 and lose 2ppm a day as of now. Ph is 7.5. I know I could tell him to mind his own business when it comes to the pool chemistry but he’s super intimidating and my husband wasn’t home ha!

Attachments

• 636030E3-DBEF-4C91-8A7D-3487744F0B4A.jpeg
    636030E3-DBEF-4C91-8A7D-3487744F0B4A.jpeg
    615.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 8874EB67-31DD-4907-85F8-CEEC9BC62E8B.jpeg
    8874EB67-31DD-4907-85F8-CEEC9BC62E8B.jpeg
    430.3 KB · Views: 11

Your pool guy is just one step up from a total idiot.. Most people run their main drains at 10% and the Skimmer at 90% or full open..

In his small mind, any FC higher than 4 is "dangerous", which goes to tell you what he knows about the function of CYA.

Why do you even listen to him?

Phosphates are generally not an issue for most people, and when they are, they are more in the range 3000 to 5000.. 300 is nothing to worry about at all.

I suspect he wanted to sell you something.. I doubt he was going to "fix" your phosphates for free..

Your best bet is to think about your pool guy the same way would a pickpocket.. Just keep your distance and your hand on your wallet.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Thethreetheory77
The pool looks good, your numbers look good, your logic on the skimmer is good. The only thing I would question is why have you not yet fired the intimidating pool repair guy who gives bad advice.

Reactions: Thethreetheory77
You are right on all counts.

If he has a shop, ask him if he can tell the difference between the FC from bleach and the FC from tablets when he does a water test. He can't. Because there is none. The difference is in the carrier. You're adding salt water, which is pretty benign stuff. It's IV solution! Compare that to Cyanuric Acid. Besides pool sunscreen, what else is it used for? Does he know?

To convince yourself about the drain, set the valve to full drain and try sweeping a leaf or a dead bug -- whatever is n the pool needing vacuuming -- at it. Unless you hit an opening head on, the leaf will probably sail right past the drain. Because they just don't work all that well. I have mine open just a hair in hopes it will reduce the temperature stratification. I know it hasn't eliminated it! And ask yourself how many above-ground pools have a main drain. Some of them pools can get pretty big, too. More water than my built-in. They seem to manage just fine without a hole in the bottom.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri

Your pool guy is just one step up from a total idiot.. Most people run their main drains at 10% and the Skimmer at 90% or full open..

In his small mind, any FC higher than 4 is "dangerous", which goes to tell you what he knows about the function of CYA.

Why do you even listen to him?

Phosphates are generally not an issue for most people, and when they are, they are more in the range 3000 to 5000.. 300 is nothing to worry about at all.

I suspect he wanted to sell you something.. I doubt he was going to "fix" your phosphates for free..

Your best bet is to think about your pool guy the same way would a pickpocket.. Just keep your distance and your hand on your wallet.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I am only using him for a repair. He decided to give me his unsolicited advice on everything. Even though I’m the one managing the pool I don’t do well with confrontation and he didn’t let me get a word in edgewise. I just wanted to shut the door and run away lol. He is a very high regarded pool repairman and maintenance person in my area which is why I used him for the repair but he does not like the way I am maintaining my pool at all!

The pool looks good, your numbers look good, your logic on the skimmer is good. The only thing I would question is why have you not yet fired the intimidating pool repair guy who gives bad advice.
He was the only one who could put my pool light back in (it completely fell out) and repair the drip. I turned my skin/drain lever back. He would die if he saw I’m only running my pump for 3-4 hours lol

You are right on all counts.

If he has a shop, ask him if he can tell the difference between the FC from bleach and the FC from tablets when he does a water test. He can't. Because there is none. The difference is in the carrier. You're adding salt water, which is pretty benign stuff. It's IV solution! Compare that to Cyanuric Acid. Besides pool sunscreen, what else is it used for? Does he know?

To convince yourself about the drain, set the valve to full drain and try sweeping a leaf or a dead bug -- whatever is n the pool needing vacuuming -- at it. Unless you hit an opening head on, the leaf will probably sail right past the drain. Because they just don't work all that well. I have mine open just a hair in hopes it will reduce the temperature stratification. I know it hasn't eliminated it! And ask yourself how many above-ground pools have a main drain. Some of them pools can get pretty big, too. More water than my built-in. They seem to manage just fine without a hole in the bottom.
I was shocked to see he changed what I had it at. Then he tried to school me on why I shouldn’t have it on mostly skimmer. He also decided to leave me a floater on my porch and called me and told me to get pucks and that pucks should be in the pool at all times. I just want the dang light fixed so I can go about my business. Sure wish my husband was here. He’s not as nervous as me lol

He was the only one who could put my pool light back in (it completely fell out) and repair the drip. I turned my skin/drain lever back. He would die if he saw I’m only running my pump for 3-4 hours lol
Haha. Sounds like he is a DB. No need to correct him or argue with him, just smile and say okay. Just because they work in a similar field, doesnt make them an expert on everything in that field. Treat him no different than what you would do if a cashier tried to give you financial advice, a cook giving you nutrition advice, a shoe salesman diagnosing some medial issue, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.