Question about cover and skimmer.

Mokes

Jan 14, 2017
Holden, Ma
When using a cover with the cable and crank, should the cable go in between the rail and skimmer, or against the top of the skimmer body?

I took pics of both ways.20171114_185559.jpg20171114_183928.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Follow up question. I bought a cover a size up this year since the correct size sucked last year. Is it ok to hang jugs filled with sand off the gromments to help with the sagging of the larger cover?

My skimmer top section is not that close to rails.
Don't run cable around outer edge of skimmer body.
Keep cable and cover between away from the skimmer so if the cover gets pulled down from weight of snow it wont pull against the skimmer .
I don't cover anymore due to the snow removal hassle on pool cover.I have heard people using jugs to help the cover from getting whipped around but why not just fill partially with water

when i had an AG pool i would put the cable between the skimmer and top rail (not around the skimmer). I didn't want unnecessary pressure on the skimmer.

My skimmer top section is not that close to rails.
Don't run cable around outer edge of skimmer body.
Keep cable and cover between away from the skimmer so if the cover gets pulled down from weight of snow it wont pull against the skimmer .
I don't cover anymore due to the snow removal hassle on pool cover.I have heard people using jugs to help the cover from getting whipped around but why not just fill partially with water

It's going to rain tomorrow. This cover being larger will settle on top of the water line pretty quick with rain. That's my concern about using a larger cover.

I will be scraping snow out all winter like this, but I don't know if there's a better option.

I always lower my water level 6 inches below return,all lines disconnected and everything stored in garage.
Return plugged and skimmer face closed with cover .With winter rain, and usually somewhere between 35 and 60 inches of snow throughout winter on average, the water level by spring will be mid to upper level of skimmer.
When I used a cover for 3 years,it was sized for my pool, and had the metal ratchet and cable.
The cover would always sit on top of water which is what you want,otherwise you will stress the side walls.I never had luck with those pillows.
If for some reason you develop a leak,even small the water level will drop and the cover will drop with it and start to pull on the top rails where cable is and possibly collapsing the walls.
But this wont happen until the water thaws,wont leak if frozen.
I found this out when returning home from Vegas in early spring.
Fortunately I caught it in time when noticing the cable looked too taught around pool and cover looked like a trampoline.
And after removing snow around the house,the last thing I wanted to do is remove snow from a pool.
I only get occasional leaves/pine needles from a couple trees from neighbors house's after a very windy day, so no more cover for me , winterize, remove leaves and forget.
If you have large trees, I would probably cover,that could be a mess left open.Without cover, you close later and open sooner.Always a cold job that way around here. late March / end Oct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.