Question about Chlorine levels based on CYA and "Recommended 4ppm guidelines"

Re: Question about Chlorine levels based on CYA and "Recommended 4ppm guidelines"

Yeh, it's quite different down here with respect to CYA vs. what I hear from there. Although pool stores seem just the same and say 100 is no big deal, so they're playing that same game. When I first read that label, after reading lots here, it seemed that TFP would all fit well. The only thing I'd mention for clarity is that SWG is pretty dominant here. When we looked at houses to buy, I looked at around 30 pools and only two of those were non-SWG. I have a mate who's a poolie and he said he didn't know market stats or anything, but maybe 80/90% salt.

That's smart with respect to SWGs. Sadly there seems to be a push here in the US (mostly in Texas and the southwest) against SWGs using nothing more than scare-tactics. I guess the PBs don't like them because they don't like the service/warranty calls and the chemical reps hate them because they cut into the powder and puck sales a bit. We'll have to wait and see how the market shakes out over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Question about Chlorine levels based on CYA and "Recommended 4ppm guidelines"

You Aussies are ahead of us Yanks. Our pool stores sound similar though!

As for the SWG-thing, I was thinking that most liquid chlorine would be purchased by non-SWG owners.

Very good point, Marian. I buy but just for winter, top-ups and the SLAM I did. I don't know about ahead, but I think it was invented here or New Zealand maybe? Maybe just been around longer.

To circle back with ionizer, have we provided suitable sources to help with understanding of active chlorine, free chlorine, and the cyanuric acid "buffer" system?

I can't find it now or recall where I once saw it. I was reading Chem Geeks stuff, then links he provided, and surfed on from there, but I swear I read somewhere that the EPA never did ANY studies whatsoever on chlorine in a pool and simply/arbitrarily set it at the previously established levels for potable drinking water. Obviously that has no CYA, but is meant to drink on top of it!! I did find this supporting it though. It also shows up to 4 ppm allowed in drinking water. I figure if I can DRINK up to that much, even with NO CYA my skin should be able to handle at least a LITTLE more!! Take the real effect of CYA though and good to go.

Chlorine in Tap Water is Safe to Drink | Water Quality and Health Council

The EPA requires treated tap water to have a detectable level of chlorine to help prevent contamination. The allowable chlorine levels in drinking water (up to 4 parts per million) pose “no known or expected health risk [including] an adequate margin of safety.”

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.