Question about Beach Entry

psychocabbage

May 4, 2021
Crockett Texas
Been reading all the old posts trying to find my answers.
Beach Entry.. Really want one but seems none of the builders want to do it and keep saying its way more expensive (which makes no sense to me as to why).
My main reason aside from just the plain old "I want it" is that I live out in the middle of nowhere. I dont want rabbits, racoons, or squirrels dead in my pool. Also we feel this would be better for our dogs to acclimate them to the water at their own pace.
PBs we have spoken with say you can only manually clean with a beach entry.. entry will be dirty at all times.. a myriad of excuses. I read on a post about the linear drain along the beach entry and thought that sounded like a great idea and am looking at options to create something like that.. now where would that water "drain" to? I would imaging just back into the pool.

By the way, this site is super dangerous! I am leaning more and more towards making this a DIY pool.

We wanted a beach entry as well but did not get it. Primarily for space reasons. We'd have to have added about 10 more feet in length to our already 42 feet. In addition, it is hard to clean (the entire pool) as robots will roll right out of the pool so you'd need to plan something to keep the robot cleaners in the pool. If you do decide to go with it, I suggest you face it with stone instead of plaster I have seen a few with stone and they look great. Someone on this forum had a pool with one but ripped out the entire pool and put in another and I think did not go with the beach entry.

By the way, this site is super dangerous! I am leaning more and more towards making this a DIY pool.
I can't help you with the beach entry question, but I participate / read in 2 forums regularly. This one and a budget one. I have now spent thousands on my $300 Craigslist above ground pool, thanks to this site. It is a dangerous place and my budget goes completely out the window. I keep coming back for more though.

We wanted a beach entry as well but did not get it. Primarily for space reasons. We'd have to have added about 10 more feet in length to our already 42 feet. In addition, it is hard to clean (the entire pool) as robots will roll right out of the pool so you'd need to plan something to keep the robot cleaners in the pool. If you do decide to go with it, I suggest you face it with stone instead of plaster I have seen a few with stone and they look great. Someone on this forum had a pool with one but ripped out the entire pool and put in another and I think did not go with the beach entry.
Why would you have to add? was it because of "code"? Where I live we dont have the need for permits when you are not in any city limits and have 10 or more acres. There are lots of moving parts to this project for sure and im just scraping the surface and learning everything I can so I can be as well versed as possible. This is our forever property and dont want to pay 80K+/- for a sorta something we wanted...

There are robots that work on beach entry pools.
Any that you would recommend for me to research? I did a search on the Dolphin M200 and it seems it doesnt have a ton of features but some here like it.

If it matters, there will be a wifi mesh network at the pool house. I know full automation so I can light it up before even walking out.. and starting the hottub before we get there to its hot when we arrive.. (its a 150'-200' walk to where we will be building the pool and pool house.)

Why would you have to add? was it because of "code"? Where I live we dont have the need for permits when you are not in any city limits and have 10 or more acres. There are lots of moving parts to this project for sure and im just scraping the surface and learning everything I can so I can be as well versed as possible. This is our forever property and dont want to pay 80K+/- for a sorta something we wanted...

Because we didn't want to lose usable pool space. The alternative would have been to make the pool area where we swim much smaller to accommodate the beach entry. We also have a 9 foot deep end I think there actually are some slope code issues with that.

I can't help you with the beach entry question, but I participate / read in 2 forums regularly. This one and a budget one. I have now spent thousands on my $300 Craigslist above ground pool, thanks to this site. It is a dangerous place and my budget goes completely out the window. I keep coming back for more though.
Yes.. very dangerous given that I have some construction project management background. hahha So dangerous! Im tempted to start buying the equipment myself so I can remove that from the bids.

Reactions: kne

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am getting a beach entry on my pool currently in progress. They are supposed to shoot the gunite tomorrow. It only cost me an extra 2k over standard steps. I had them put a 4 inch "step" as a barrier for the robot and to have the coping go completely around. I am getting a cage because i want all the things kept out :)

Can't talk about beach entry, but as far as going owner build, if you feel comfortable managing projects, there is no great reason not to do it as long as you can find subs. I am on my second. Had some trouble getting layout-dig-steel and gunite subs lined up. I basically had 1 option for each. The LDS contractor is known to be the best in town though, so my only concern there was if I was over-paying. For Gunite, I did end up getting a second estimate late. The pool industry is so crazy that you won't get priority, but generally, my build is going faster than PB builds in my area.

My reason for OB (aside from cost savings and timeline) is mostly that I am a control freak. I hate not being able to drive things myself and feeling like I am at someone else's mercy.

I am getting a beach entry on my pool currently in progress. They are supposed to shoot the gunite tomorrow. It only cost me an extra 2k over standard steps. I had them put a 4 inch "step" as a barrier for the robot and to have the coping go completely around. I am getting a cage because i want all the things kept out :)
Will the barrier work? Most robots are designed to climb walls.

Reactions: Gladius Nova
Hey PC !!! So its always personal preference of course but take my $.02. The beach entry is my least favorite part of the actual beach. From your ankles to above your knees it is pointless and hard to walk in/out. Buts it’s far too shallow to jump in / swim and it’s just uncomfortable to be in all around. It looks awesome though which you’ll be doing far more than actually using it so there is that. But to pay a lot of money for part of the actual pool that really isn’t useable isn’t for me.

I’d spend the money on bling if you want to jazz it up, or simply more actual pool if you are like me and value function over form.

Reactions: OrlandoBull
Hey PC !!! So its always personal preference of course but take my $.02. The beach entry is my least favorite part of the actual beach. From your ankles to above your knees it is pointless and hard to walk in/out. Buts it’s far too shallow to jump in / swim and it’s just uncomfortable to be in all around. It looks awesome though which you’ll be doing far more than actually using it so there is that. But to pay a lot of money for part of the actual pool that really isn’t useable isn’t for me.

I’d spend the money on bling if you want to jazz it up, or simply more actual pool if you are like me and value function over form.
This make a lot of sense to me...

I will also tell you that I too thought about this for my dog, the labrador who doesn't like the water. I have taken him to the beach and to a park with a lake, and he IS more comfortable going in if it's a gradual entry. 2 points to that though... I used to foster labs, some of which really did like the pool... they leave a lot of hair in it and clog up the filter since then, I have kind of considered myself blessed that he doesn't love the pool. Second... our dogs lives are too short, my old man won't make it another year I don't think, so, if you want the beach entry, go for it, but I would say not to do it just for the dogs.

Reactions: Newdude
This make a lot of sense to me...

I will also tell you that I too thought about this for my dog, the labrador who doesn't like the water. I have taken him to the beach and to a park with a lake, and he IS more comfortable going in if it's a gradual entry. 2 points to that though... I used to foster labs, some of which really did like the pool... they leave a lot of hair in it and clog up the filter since then, I have kind of considered myself blessed that he doesn't love the pool. Second... our dogs lives are too short, my old man won't make it another year I don't think, so, if you want the beach entry, go for it, but I would say not to do it just for the dogs.
Sorry about your dog! We are fanatical about ours.. Our ranch is named after my late Whippet. I have 2 Greyhounds, 1 Whippet and a Jack Russell Terrror :laughblue: mix. The beach entry is also great for when we want to drag our gear in since part of how I will enjoy this pool will be with a tank of air, laying at the bottom making bubbles.
I have not heard from one of my PBs so I am working on possibly making the most insane project decision ever.. Do it myself and somehow not tell my wife I am the one running it until I am done. She already feels the guys trying to take the trees down are going too slow (they have busted 2 hydraulic cylinders already on their tractor!).

I will completely agree that it’s awesome for dogs. Big plus there. I thought of another minus too for people. Being uncomfortable to walk out, everyone will swim in to the point it is 1.5 ft and then stand up. Without the extra bouynacy of the traditional shallow end, there will be a lot of scuffing to the swimmers, even with a smoother finish. It will be uncomfortable enough to the adults/teens but the little kids that do it over and over will take far more abuse.

Sorry about your dog! We are fanatical about ours.. Our ranch is named after my late Whippet. I have 2 Greyhounds, 1 Whippet and a Jack Russell Terrror :laughblue: mix. The beach entry is also great for when we want to drag our gear in since part of how I will enjoy this pool will be with a tank of air, laying at the bottom making bubbles.
I have not heard from one of my PBs so I am working on possibly making the most insane project decision ever.. Do it myself and somehow not tell my wife I am the one running it until I am done. She already feels the guys trying to take the trees down are going too slow (they have busted 2 hydraulic cylinders already on their tractor!).
Haha, you'll be way too stressed to keep your wife in the dark. But, it's totally worth it to owner-build. It's stressful, but worth it... Just tell your wife that it actually will get done faster if you do it yourself. It's easy to say right now that it's ok if it takes x amount of time, we're not in a huge rush... it's different when your yard is a dirt/mud pit. Once that happens, you want it done as soon as possible.

Awesome on the pups. I love my labs. Fostered maybe 7-8 different ones over the years, but with 3 small kids, it's not possible now. We also have a chihuahua, also in failing health. Once they go, we will probably be a 1-dog family for a while. Remains to be seen on the breed, thinking smaller than a lab, larger than the chi... I want a beagle, but my wife doesn't like the hound baying, so, we shall see.

I will completely agree that it’s awesome for dogs. Big plus there. I thought of another minus too for people. Being uncomfortable to walk out, everyone will swim in to the point it is 1.5 ft and then stand up. Without the extra bouynacy of the traditional shallow end, there will be a lot of scuffing to the swimmers, even with a smoother finish. It will be uncomfortable enough to the adults/teens but the little kids that do it over and over will take far more abuse.
Interesting point.. thanks for the insight!

As an avid diver who hasn't traveled since Jan 2020, I did a pool dive last year! lol I initially went in to take a closer look at some stains and take some pictures of them... and then I just stayed down there a while with my eyes closed, listening to my bubbles :)

Reactions: Jmerges and DanF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.