Question about adding salt

ddas

May 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
My Jandy APURE1400 has a message on its front panel that says to distribute salt in the shallow end of my pool, mix it well (i.e. brush it), and turn the front panel to 0% salt production for 24 hours.

Does anyone know the philosophy behind this?

I only run my pump about 6-7 hours a day, so it's not clear if they mean 24 literal hours (i.e. tomorrow), or 24 hours of pump run time (i.e. 3-4 days).

Just curious WHY they put this notice there and what the harm is if I don't do it. I'm impatient and I want the salt cell working NOW. :)

After you add salt you should run your pump for 24 hours straight to let it dissolve and get evenly distributed through out your water.

They want your SWG at 0% so that a high amount of salt water that is not yet fully distributed does not go through the cell and cause the cell amperage to spike and possibly damage the cell.

Very helpful, thanks. Do you think that still applies to a minor addition of salt? I was at 2800 (and my ideal range is 3000-3500) so I just dumped half a bag of salt in there to top it up. And the kids are already swimming in it, so the water is mixing quickly. I did turn the SWG to 0% but am just wondering if I really have to wait 24 hours.

I know, I'm impatient. Just wanting to understand the process better!

I didn't know it takes that long for the salt to fully dissolve. That's something I'd love to learn better across the board:

•How long does it take salt to dissolve into the water?
•How long does it take stabilizer (CYA) to dissolve (i.e. how soon should I re-run the CYA test after adding CYA)?
•After I've thoroughly cleaned my pool filter, and re-added new cellulose, how long does it take for that cellulose to settle on the grids, and how soon is it appropriate for me to do my first vacuum?

I wouldn’t worry about turning down the SWG for a 5%-10% top off. It is more for when making a large salt addition.

Salt - 24 hours
CYA can be even slower to dissolve and get distributed . Can take 48 to 72 hours.
DE settles quickly in a filter. Don’t know about cellulose.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.