Question about adding chlorine with no pump

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi guys:
its getting warmer here in PA and I was just looking under the cover of my pool. Looks pretty clear. I elected to add some chlorine in the shallow and (about 64oz of 10%) swished it around with a leaf net. Is that good enough to elevate the chlorine level and circulate it thru pool or do I need to add some in the deep end too and swish around ?

Thanks,
G

Be very careful adding liquid chlorine to a small area of your pool without the pump operating. It can fade your liner.

Best would be to get your brush and vigorously push the water around.

And do not add any more chlorine until you open your pool.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
How can I add chlorine manually then ?
You still can. Marty is just highlighting the need to be careful and brush the water around really well. You did use the net to try and move water, bit if you restrict the chlorine to just the shallow area, it may settle on the liner. Perhaps pull the cover back for more access to the pool for better brushing? Some people also have a spare submersible pump that they will drop in the pool to help move water around.

Hi guys:
its getting warmer here in PA and I was just looking under the cover of my pool. Looks pretty clear. I elected to add some chlorine in the shallow and (about 64oz of 10%) swished it around with a leaf net. Is that good enough to elevate the chlorine level and circulate it thru pool or do I need to add some in the deep end too and swish around ?

Thanks,
G
I literally just did this last night (I’m in Ohio, so similar weather as you). I went around the perimeter of my pool and would slooooowly pour a little, swirl with my brush (quite rigorously lol), walk another 5 feet or so, and repeat. Only difference is, my pool is above-ground, so I can’t help you with the deep-end part. Don’t make this a habit, though. I do it maybe once or twice during the winter just to make sure I have adequate FC (I lose it much faster since I don’t cover my pool). Like @mknauss said, do not pour too much bleach into one spot because it can fade your liner. That’s also why I swirl it with the brush immediately after I pour it in each spot so it doesn’t “settle” anywhere. Oh, and make sure to wear clothes you don’t care about!! I got quite a few bleach stains lol

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.