Question about Above Ground Robot

Hello all,

I think I've finally decided to get a cleaning robot for my pool, and I have a question. Or questions.

I've been focused on the Dolphin line from Maytronics (though I'm willing to consider others if people have strong recommendations). It's hard to pinpoint the model number because the ones sold in stores like the S50 have a different model number if purchased online, like through Amazon.

In any event, the Dolphin has a "good", "better" and "best" line. From what I can tell, the "better" line is about $200 more, and I think the only thing I really gain is a tangle-free cord. I've read a ton of reviews and it seems like issues with the cords getting wrapped around the robot are pretty hit or miss.

So, my question: is it worth paying for the tangle-free cord?

We don't have a dolphin, but we do have an old Tiger Shark. We love it. It' has been a great vacuum. Someone at the pool store told me you would never get a robot-type vac to climb your above ground walls because of the steep angle of the bottom relative to the sides (???) but ours climbs walls with no problem. Our cord does get a wound up sometimes, but if you stretch out it straight in the sun it fixes it.

You'll probably have more luck posting about specific vacuum questions in the pool equipment section. I think most above ground owners use suction vacuums because they don't have to deal with deep ends.

Good luck!

Reactions: Fronzizzle
I recently bought the Dolphin Nautilus CC and have used it a handful of times. I have nothing to compare it to, but so far, it's doing its job and it amazes me how much small dirt and sand it picks up. No issues with cord tangles that I've seen, and it has no issues climbing up the wall and even higher then the water line to clean!

If you're looking at and comparing Dolphin robots, take a look at this comparison PDF from Marina Pool and Spa. They only take orders via email or phone, but you get the dealer models / warranty at prices that no one will seem to beat. Any local store I called or even comparable online models seem to be priced higher when I was comparing a few weeks ago. No tax if you aren't in CO, and on any of the cleaners in that PDF free and fast shipping. I'd been looking around for a while, but learned of them through other posts here on TFP.

Reactions: Fronzizzle
Hi there,
We have the Dophin Active 20 and are very happy with it so far. It cleans floor, walls, waterline. Amazed at how much disgusting looking crud it pulled out of our otherwise seemly perfectly clean pool at first. We run it every other day and finally the filters are coming back much more clean (meaning we're keeping with the pollen and all the other small stuff). Cord doesn't tangle, doesn't get caught on stairs. Pretty pricey but so far we feel it's quite worth it. Major time saver. If you go to, I think it's an Elite level Matronics dealer, you can take one home to test for a few days before purchasing.

If you're looking at and comparing Dolphin robots, take a look at this comparison PDF from Marina Pool and Spa. They only take orders via email or phone, but you get the dealer models / warranty at prices that no one will seem to beat. Any local store I called or even comparable online models seem to be priced higher when I was comparing a few weeks ago. No tax if you aren't in CO, and on any of the cleaners in that PDF free and fast shipping. I'd been looking around for a while, but learned of them through other posts here on TFP.

How were you able to get in touch with Marina? I emailed them when I got this response last week, then called and left a voicemail on Saturday. I know they are busy and don't want to keep bothering them, but it's going on almost a week with no response.

How were you able to get in touch with Marina? I emailed them when I got this response last week, then called and left a voicemail on Saturday. I know they are busy and don't want to keep bothering them, but it's going on almost a week with no response.
I just called the number on that PDF i linked previously, left my name and phone number and information on what I was interested in purchasing. I got called back a day later.

I've had my Dolphin S50 for about 2 years and absolutely love it. We've had no problems with cord tangles at all. It wasn't advertised to climb the walls to the waterline, but on occasion does so anyway. This is a problem I can live with!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've had my Dolphin S50 for about 2 years and absolutely love it. We've had no problems with cord tangles at all. It wasn't advertised to climb the walls to the waterline, but on occasion does so anyway. This is a problem I can live with!
Mine does the same thing. Sometimes it climbs the wall I don't know why. But I like it.

Reactions: gonfishin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.