Nov 17, 2017
Spring/TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there,

On Thursday a new quartz aggregate pool plaster (ColorScapes by NPT) was installed and the start-up was initiated by the PB (who had subcontracted the plastering) yesterday morning (took some time to fill). The plaster subcontractor gave him a sheet saying on step 9 (see attached) “Maintain ph level at 6.8 to prevent scaling”. This seems to be much lower than suggested elsewhere (New Quartz Plaster Startup Procedure - Revisited) and also by NPT (which recommend the NPC start-up).
Should I tell the PB to not follow those instructions? Are there any issues with the other instructions? He will come for another 3 days and then I am on my own.

The PB also through 4 chlorine tablets in the skimmer and activated the Polaris pressure driven pool cleaner. I read that the former will cause corrosion in equipment (“PB it’s no problem”. He bypassed the heater) and on the latter even NPT says “wheeled devices should not be used in the pool until after 28 days.”. I read somewhere that quartz is harder and a cleaner can be used after 3 days.
I am really concerned that some shortcuts are taken for convenience in the short term which affect the long term durability.

As usual thanks in advance.

Attachments

• B343A1D9-32F2-4117-AA19-4CB246E18150.jpeg
    B343A1D9-32F2-4117-AA19-4CB246E18150.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 14
@onBalance said “Unfortunately, some pool builders and plasterers give quartz aggregate pool finishes an "acid type treatment" (to supposedly bring out the color) before or after the pool is filled with water. Acid treatments simply makes the surface etched and more porous. An acid treatment can cause increased plaster dust and streaking, and it simply ages the pool. It will not last as long as it could have.” in …

I would pull the cleaner out but otherwise I think you are stuck with your builders startup process if you want their warranty.

Is the pump set to run 24/7? If so the tablets in the skimmer are not that much of an issue.

Brush the pool often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.