"Quality" chemicals vs. Chemicals at Menard's (or anywhere else)

coolinthepool

May 8, 2019
Fishers, IN
Hello, all! I'm a new pool owner and so very excited to be here and maintaining my pool.

Before I purchased my home, the pool was maintained by a local non-store business that provided all of the upkeep, chemicals, etc. When I moved in, I notified them that I wouldn't be using their ongoing services, but that I'd have them open the pool and give me a rundown on the system and how it's maintained.

They are coming out sometime in the next week to open the pool and give me that instruction, but they also said they'd like to sell me the chemicals, since they are cheaper than local pool stores and the chemicals are better quality than the chemicals I'd find at Menard's, Walmart, etc. They also said they'd sell me a "getting started" setup that has the top skimmer, a quality pole, a vacuum, hose, etc. They said the equipment I have now isn't great quality and will break on me. For example, they said my pole is cheap aluminum and will bend if I use it underwater.

So, I suppose I have a couple questions.

1. Is there such a thing as "quality" chemicals—should I be using a certain brand or distributor? Or am I fine just picking up all of my chemicals at Menard's, since it's right down the road?

2. Is there a recommended brand of pool equipment?

3. Are there tools that will be sold to me that I just don't need or are gimmicks? Maybe a list of startup tools that I definitely should have?

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. It depends on what chemicals we are talking about. If you need to raise your TA, then you want to use 100% baking soda (does not matter what brand as it should all be the same). If you need to lower your pH, then muriatic acid is the way to go, but you need to check for the strength as some are half as strong for the same price. I suggest you not try to "stock up" on any chemicals. You need to test your water with one of the recommended test kits and from there we can help you determine what chemicals you need

2/3. Not really, generally stick to the major brands for large equipment. What is a "top skimmer"? Is that just a net? Both of my poles are aluminum and have not bent. Do you foresee needing to manually vacuum? What kind of pool cleaner do you have?

You certainly need a pole, brush, and leaf rake. Beyond that you may not need anything.
I like the Wall Whale for the brush and I prefer to use a leaf rake over the the flat net skimmers due to their capacity.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. It depends on what chemicals we are talking about. If you need to raise your TA, then you want to use 100% baking soda (does not matter what brand as it should all be the same). If you need to lower your pH, then muriatic acid is the way to go, but you need to check for the strength as some are half as strong for the same price. I suggest you not try to "stock up" on any chemicals. You need to test your water with one of the recommended test kits and from there we can help you determine what chemicals you need

2/3. Not really, generally stick to the major brands for large equipment. What is a "top skimmer"? Is that just a net? Both of my poles are aluminum and have not bent. Do you foresee needing to manually vacuum? What kind of pool cleaner do you have?

You certainly need a pole, brush, and leaf rake. Beyond that you may not need anything.
I like the Wall Whale for the brush and I prefer to use a leaf rake over the the flat net skimmers due to their capacity.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind about the chemicals. The company said that for example, sometimes chemicals have added "stabilizers" and don't mention it, so I have to watch out for that.

Sorry, by top skimmer, I meant one of the flat nets. I also have one of the deep nets for scooping.

Re: Vacuuming, I don't know if I foresee needing too. I have an automatic pool cover and three babies, so it will be closed if we're not in the pool. Does that mean I likely won't need a vacuum? When you say "pool cleaner" what do you mean?

Usually a pool has some type of automatic cleaner to capture debris. One of these:
1. Suction cleaner, pulls in debris to a leaf catcher/skimmer/filter
2. Pressure side cleaner, captures the debris in a container using the return jets for propulsion
3. Electric robot
4. pop-up jets in the floor that try to keep the debris suspended until the filter captures it.

The automatic cover should help a lot, but I think there will be a need to physically remove debris occasionally. Perhaps in the past it was just by manual vacuuming if you do not have one of the above.

Usually a pool has some type of automatic cleaner to capture debris. One of these:
1. Suction cleaner, pulls in debris to a leaf catcher/skimmer/filter
2. Pressure side cleaner, captures the debris in a container using the return jets for propulsion
3. Electric robot
4. pop-up jets in the floor that try to keep the debris suspended until the filter captures it.

The automatic cover should help a lot, but I think there will be a need to physically remove debris occasionally. Perhaps in the past it was just by manual vacuuming if you do not have one of the above.

So, I don't think I have any cleaner at the moment. I could be wrong about that, but I don't think there's anything like that in the pool.

Oh, what test kit do you have? First purchase should be one of these: Test Kits Compared
I highly recommend the TF-100 from tftestkits.net

I just ordered the TF-100! I noticed several recommendations and decided to pull the trigger.

Reactions: Mdragger88
With the cover and the leaf rake ... you might be able to get by with a manual vacuuming every week or so to pull up small heavy debris (like sand)
So that would require a pole, hose, and vacuum head.

I am not sure I would buy any equipment up front until you get some experience and decide what you actually need.

Your test kit will arrive soon, and I am absolutely no expert, but I would start reading here ... start with "pool school" link ... and if you have questions about pool equipment and what you have/don't have ... take pictures of things and post them here. This forum is a huge resource of information. Anytime someone wants to come to my house and "show me" something that they think is "the best" and I "need to buy" ... well, those are huge red flags to me and indicate that I probably need to educate myself ... or I may be in for an expensive education!

1. Is there such a thing as "quality" chemicals—should I be using a certain brand or distributor? Or am I fine just picking up all of my chemicals at Menard's, since it's right down the road?

2. Is there a recommended brand of pool equipment?

3. Are there tools that will be sold to me that I just don't need or are gimmicks? Maybe a list of startup tools that I definitely should have?

Thanks!

Sodium hypochlorite is sodium hypochlorite. I doubt they manufacture an artisanal variety in their store. If you have access to Menard's, especially during their 2-for-1 sale, it's great stuff. Ditto Menard's muriatic acid. They clearly want you to buy from them but get whatever's cheapest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.