PVC pool filler snapped off... what's better?

VinylDelight

Aug 9, 2022
MS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have a pool that's about 3 years old and this PVC filler was super handy to add water to the pool. However, it is simply PVC and after only a few years (we owned it less than 1 year) it snapped a few months ago while rotating it. I'm glad I knew where the water turn off rod was because this thing was a gusher!

But rather than simply rebuild it, I am thinking there must be a better way? Any ideas or hardware that will not break again? I think we are lucky that the break was all above ground as well.

pool filler.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those PVC valves will seize up after some length of time. Your picture does not show how far away your pool is so hard to provide alternative plumbing options. If you were going back with same hook up. then make that turn with a 90 deg elbow and then put valve on the straight horizontal piece. It is hard to find a non-ball type valve in 1inch or 1.25 inch pipe. So you could consider putting a union on each side of the pvc ball valve so you can change out when it gets stuck. Ideally, if you can find a diverter type valve that would be best, but again, hard to find in small sizes.

Got a wide angle shot for more context ?

I'd put a post in the dirt and add a spigot and short length of hose. That way it's easy to get out of the way when not in use.

I also vote for a spigot. 🙋‍♀️
A frost free one attached to a post. Especially since it sounds like the only way to cut this line off is at the street. It may not freeze often where you are but if that pvc bursts it won’t be pleasant.
BE662B23-BC11-4CA0-A39C-35EF6110FF6C.jpeg

Those PVC valves will seize up after some length of time. Your picture does not show how far away your pool is so hard to provide alternative plumbing options. If you were going back with same hook up. then make that turn with a 90 deg elbow and then put valve on the straight horizontal piece. It is hard to find a non-ball type valve in 1inch or 1.25 inch pipe. So you could consider putting a union on each side of the pvc ball valve so you can change out when it gets stuck. Ideally, if you can find a diverter type valve that would be best, but again, hard to find in small sizes.
I will try to get another photo soon, but if it at all helps the long rod that is laying down is almost to the pool. The water pressure ensures that the fill water does get well within the pool.

I was thinking a spigot is the way to go also... that PVC knob just doesn't "feel great"... I figured you could (relatively) easily thread a standard hose spigot onto the remaining PVC sticking from the ground.

Reactions: newdude
that PVC knob just doesn't "feel great"..
Ball valves aren't robust and seize in a couple of years. If it helps any, you were going to be replacing soon it either way. You did yourself a favor by breaking the pipe. :)

Another option might be an electronic sprinkler valve that’s underground (in a box, not buried in dirt please!).

Then you can just hook it up to a sprinkler controller and add water to the pool for a few minutes at a time using your phone or by pushing a button on the controller.

I will try to get another photo soon, but if it at all helps the long rod that is laying down is almost to the pool. The water pressure ensures that the fill water does get well within the pool.

I was thinking a spigot is the way to go also... that PVC knob just doesn't "feel great"... I figured you could (relatively) easily thread a standard hose spigot onto the remaining PVC sticking from the ground.

You will just need cut the pipe, add a coupling and then an adapter that goes back to the spigot thread.
Good Luck.

Reactions: VinylDelight
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.