PVC Joint Leak

tb40

Nov 9, 2017
Yorba Linda
I started noticing progressively less and less pressure in both our in ground jacuzzi as well as the pool then determined that I have a leak at a PCV joint just before the pool pump (see photo), which causes an alternating leak/suction phenomenon, so the pump never really builds up appropriate pressure.

I'm not sure, but it appears that this was previously spot "patched" with an epoxy or some other compound?

I understand the general use an application of pvc joint compound for irrigation and plumbing etc - but not really sure what would be best to plug this very problematic leak?

Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4584.jpg
    IMG_4584.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 49
Some folks will try and slather the area with marine epoxy or PVC glue and hope it seals the leak. That works better on a leak on the pressure side then the suction side where your leak is.

I think you need to bite the bullet and repipe from the pump and the valve into the ground. I can't tell from that close up pic the degree of difficulty in doing it.

Any plug is not likely to last, especially because you already have a bunch of all the prior patches on it.

The pipe end into the pump should be threaded, so don't cut it off unless it's glued. The valve joint looks like it's been repaired before. It looks like there's a 2.5" collar on the outside of the joint (like the other two ports on the valve). It was probably from a 2.5 coupler that was cut and replaced with 2" pipe into the valve socket. IMHO, I think you're probably gonna have to replace that valve.:(

Thank you all SO MUCH for the feedback!

To give more context, I will at some point (in the not too far future) need to replace my rusted and badly aging pump, so I would REALLY like to come up with a temporary fix. If it lasts only a couple of years, I'm ok with that.

I opted to try the Loctite marine epoxy - I cleaned up the area and applied a few minutes ago. I'm going to let it fully cure for 24 hours and report back.

I also ordered some self fusing silicone tape to try if the epoxy doesn't do the trick.

Thanks again all!

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.