PVC Coupler keeps splitting

Aug 15, 2017
Baton Rouge
I replaced a neighbors split PVC connection between flex hosing and hard PVC two months back. He called me today to let me know it has split again.

Anyone have any idea why this might be happening? It's splitting on the top side where the flex hose screws in, not on the bottom where its glued to the hard PVC. I can't really go out there and repeat the process over again because unfortunately he's running out of pipe to cut.

First picture is the split from 2 months ago, 2nd picture is from today.

Thanks for any insight.

First split.jpg2nd split.jpg

I didn't notice any teflon tape when i went out to fix it. I wasn't the one who installed it originally so not sure what was use the first time around and how tight it was screwed in. When fixing it I did add some teflon tape and i do recall being generous with it. Also, i did screw it in about as hard as i could hand tighten it. I didn't use a tool though.

I am going to guess too much tape then.
Try a teflon paste and then get it hand tight.
Could be that the black piece is not at the correct taper for the PVC fitting.

Looks like an odd mess. 1-1/2" coming out of the ground with a coupler and 1-1/4" bushing, a section of 1-1/4" PVC, then a threaded adapter and another threaded adapter to the flex. Flex will go directly into a standard PVC slip coupler.

If you stay with threaded parts, make sure any dope you use is labelled as safe for plastic fittings.

Hey guys, I am working with bknapp on this plumbing issue. Attached are some additional pics of the area in question. As you will see, this is on the pressure side of the booster pump, so this particular spot is always going to get a good amount of pressure. Would it make more sense to stick with the threaded parts or just slip the flex hose directly on a PVC coupler and tighten with the black Polaris fitting? Just trying to figure out the best way to get this worked out. Thanks in advance.polaris1.jpgpolaris2.jpg

Stop threading the fitting in so far. It rarely needs to be as tight as you think. Resist the urge to go "one more turn". :)

Also, place a stainless steel hose clamp around the top of the female fitting and snug it up before you thread in the male section. That will give the plastic some extra strength.

Stop threading the fitting in so far. It rarely needs to be as tight as you think. Resist the urge to go "one more turn". :)

Also, place a stainless steel hose clamp around the top of the female fitting and snug it up before you thread in the male section. That will give the plastic some extra strength.

Sounds like the voice of experience!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there some reason this needs to be flex? That's how mine used to be, but I think I've seen pad pic's here of booster pumps plumbed in with regular PVC. Glue it all together to minimize threads and joints?

As with most above-ground PVC pipes and fittings, paint it to give it some UV protection, and maybe help with the heat/expansion differential. UV can tear up PVC right quick, which will weaken it and maybe that's why it's prone to splitting.

Alternately, can't you glue in flex PVC and eliminate most of those fittings? Threading together dissimilar materials is always going to be problematic.

UV can tear up PVC right quick,
Not really. I would surmise that most pools have unpainted PVC plumbing for years with no ill affect.

I have glued PVC pipe that has been in the sun for 8 years and it is structurally sound. It does get a chalky surface but UV seems to have little mechanical affect.

Not really. I would surmise that most pools have unpainted PVC plumbing for years with no ill affect.

I have glued PVC pipe that has been in the sun for 8 years and it is structurally sound. It does get a chalky surface but UV seems to have little mechanical affect.

I'll only rebut that typical PVC is not rated to be above ground. I know that it is, all over the place, and that it works fine, for many years. But covering it or painting it is good practice.

More to the issue. He's over-tightening that connection. Dave, can you answer about whether that flex could be cut and just glued into a coupler, to eliminate all those other fittings, especially the threaded ones? Or is that hose he's using something else, with pre-fab ends, and not the type that can be glued?

Oh well, I'm just throwin' darts to see if any stick, as usual. I don't like threads, or teflon tape/putty, or more fittings than necessary, or "quick-connect" systems, or flex, etc. (Or booster pumps, for that matter. I got rid of mine.) I like glue and reglar'ol PVC, wherever possible. Just personal preference...

Oh well, I'm just throwin' darts to see if any stick, as usual. I don't like threads, or teflon tape/putty, or more fittings than necessary, or "quick-connect" systems, or flex, etc. (Or booster pumps, for that matter. I got rid of mine.) I like glue and reglar'ol PVC, wherever possible. Just personal preference...

Lots of us are running Polaris booster pumps with no issues. Just needs to be properly installed.

Absolutely! I think my Polaris cleaned better than my new Rebel. But my pump was starting to leak and I never could get that darn tail figured out. ;)

He's over-tightening that connection. Dave, can you answer about whether that flex could be cut and just glued into a coupler, to eliminate all those other fittings, especially the threaded ones? Or is that hose he's using something else, with pre-fab ends, and not the type that can be glued?
I agree to all of the above. The fitting is overtightened and the whole connection (starting underground) needs to be simplified. PVC glue joints (done correctly) are bulletproof and will last for years. It will look much nicer, too.

I have had multiple instances of this same issue. The threaded connection is made up far too tight. In fact I would say any threaded PVC connection should be made hand tight do not use a wrench! NPT threads are tapered, and if made up tight like a metal fitting, then the female part will split over a short period of time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.