Puzzled over unusual water chemistry with new pebble. (Min chemicals used)

Big Will

Silver Supporter
Feb 14, 2017
Las Vegas
So I need all of the experts help in this strange dilemma I'm having, and I wouldn't even call it a bad thing but I would just like some clarification.
So my pool has been full for a month now and I have a tropics blue stonescapes finish with extra beads and alabone shells. Since my pool has been open I have barely used any MA ( maybe 2 gallons worth) and maybe 3-4 gallons of bleach. My pool has been holding steady and my water is crystal clear.
The issues I'm having is that from everything I read I should be going through chemicals like crazy but that is not the case on my pool and I'm wondering if there is an explanation.
I test my water daily and I even added some chemicals a few times just to ensure I would get a different test result to make sure I was testing correctly. My test results below, the only thing that seems to change is the TA and its after I add MA. Also I'm in Vegas and my pool doesn't get over 85-86 degrees but my buddy pool gets over 90 degrees and I like hot water so I'm wondering why it's so different. My pool is in full sun from morning till at least 4pm
FC-5
CC-.5
ph 7.5
CH-325
TA-110
CYA-50
if you need more information from me just let me know. Looking forward to the help

I'm assuming you have your SWG turned on? That is the beauty of having a salt water generator and having it dialed in to produce the FC you need when you need it ;) It appears you've found that equilibrium and have the beginnings of a trouble-free pool -- enjoy!

With that said, TFP usually recommends having your stabilizer between 70-80 when you have a saltwater generator to reduce the amount you need to produce and thereby extend the life of your cell.

Here's where you can see the recommended settings (use the swg levels) [fc/cya][/FC/cya]

Will, you must have the magic touch, that's all!! Lol!

I'm curious about this, too, so I'm glad you started this thread.

A few questions.

** How many gallons does your pool hold? (add that to your signature)

** Do you know how much extra beads and abalone shells you added? I remember it was a lot, but more detailed amounts might help. I wonder if that would have anything to do with the difference in your start up chemistry.

** Can you post test results of your tap water? Maybe there's something with your water that got your fill water off to a great start.

I'll be following this for sure!
Mama Suz

My pool holds 18k gallons
I had over 600 pounds of glass beads and 8-10 bags of shells put in.
I will post my fill water when I get home, but I know I also posted it in my build thread so after the gym I will get those numbers

Fill water test results
PH- 8.2
CH- 375
TA- 240
FC- .5
My pool is also 4ft to 7ft if that matters.
I tested my water today and the numbers were almost exactly the same. I added a cup of MA to take down the TA.....
Would love some feedback

So latest test results, I went home on lunch to test real fast so I could get a reading in heat of day to see if things are different. And the only thing that changed was the CH and the TA came back to 120
FC 6
CC .5
TA - 120
CH- 400
PH- 7.5
CYA-50
I'm a little worried about how to keep my TA down if my PH remains stable.... is it possible that I add the MA and my PH remains really low ??
I also added a quart of MA to take TA down and a quart of FC, I want to see if I take it up to 10 will it hold the same or will it jump right down to 5-6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your not losing 1-3 fc a day?

Apples to oranges my 10k gal pool uses 1/4 gal of 8.25% a day, lest say yours should use 1/2 a day, or 3.5 gals a week.

Have you checked tc with oto?

So I didn't add any bleach for more than a day and I went from Fc of 6 to 5 when I just tested. I just barely hit 4 gallons used for just over a month.
Not sure what Tc or oto is..?....
Thanks for the feedback

So I didn't add any bleach for more than a day and I went from Fc of 6 to 5 when I just tested. I just barely hit 4 gallons used for just over a month.
Not sure what Tc or oto is..?....
Thanks for the feedback

Tc is total clorine, oto is the clorine test that uses 5 drops of oto and turns it yellow and you compare the shade. It's a good backup clorine test just to make sure the fas-dpd test is working correctly.

So today after 48 hours I tested again and the FC dropped by 1ppm and the PH is almost the same.
I'm going to have a get together tomorrow so I'm going to take the FC up to 10 but this will be the most bleach I have ever added.
Do you think I need to take ph from 7.4 to 7.2 for the party or leave it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.