Purchasing our first AGP from a dealer ; Getting mislead? Need input....(pics)

Apr 10, 2018
Michigan
First off, I want to say I have been a lurker of TFP for a while. So much amazing information and has helped me out quite a bit. So, thank you. And thank you in advance.

We live in Michigan and are purchasing our first pool for our house. We both grew up with pools so we wanted to get one for our house and our little one to grow into.

I understand purchasing a pool online and doing the install isn't too hard and less expensive, but we both are pretty busy so we went the dealer route, to at least get an idea. I'd rather pay someone to install it since I don't have the proper equipment as of now. Especially when it comes to leveling the pool.

We went with this dealer nearby that several friends and coworkers recommended.

When we went in, she told the sales guy (who just happened to be the owner of 2 of the local stores) that she grew up with a Doughboy and her mother keeps insisting we should get a Doughboy. I understand there are other pools out there. So we went in with an open mind, but we know what we wanted at least (54", 24 round, resin top and uprights , 19" sand filter 1.5hp motor)

So he tells us its a Doughboy Desert Breeze. It has everything. And he is cutting us a deal at 3k + tax. Any ladder we want and he tossed in some free stuff. Not a bad deal I felt, especially Doughboy.

He wrote us up a quote with Doughboy name on it, we take it home to talk about it. I do some research, and I find there is a Desert Spring, and Autumn Breeze. But no Desert Breeze. So she calls up and he says no, it is Desert Breeze. They are a custom order that HII Doughboy does for them because of the volume of sales. Cool. I believe him at this point. We put 1k down deposit.

Then we decided to do an aluminum deck since we didn't want to deal with the headache of wood deck and we got some run around on pricing later and it tipped me off when he took our old quote, and wrote us a new one to make it look cleaner and fit more on the quote sheet. This time it doesn't have the brand name, only model

So I did some digging around, and I contacted Doughboy. They informed me that it is NOT a Doughboy, but it is an Embassy pool that is custom made for them. There are 4 differences between Doughboy and Lomart and he told me what to look for and sent me some info. So we returned and played stupid with him asking what brand it was again because it wasn't on the sheet. She asked is it a Doughboy and he stated "mhmm". So I called him out, and he said Lomart and Doughboy is the same pool, they just offer different colors (Okay, he's wrong, but I'll forgive him for being misinformed) I wasn't going to argue, and we played it off as if her mother pointed out when we were telling her about it that it wasn't a Doughboy. So he then wrote Lomart by HII on our invoice and made a copy.

I asked to see any packages or THEIR order slip to show what exactly they order, and he gave us the runaround and said they delivered all of their Desert Breezes out that day. Yeah, okay. I'm not an idiot, but it's a nice looking pool, and it looks to be of very good quality.

So I asked about Embassy. He goes oh absolutely not, that is HII's Chinese junk line they sell for cheap, we don't sell it. So after Doughboy told me that it was an Embassy, and then sales guy saying Embassy is lower quality, I'm wondering just exactly what we're getting. He also is telling us that he has this liner that was for inground pools that is made by Latham 25ga virgin liner but they had it cut for this specific pool. I attached some pictures.

Need some input. Besides getting some variance in the sale, everything seems to be of good quality. I just want to post here and see what everyone says, and what kind of pool do you think this is etc.

Once again, thank you to everyone!

ms4ytYA.jpg

mhW3ORe.jpg

2UjC6Bv.jpg

YIFg5MW.jpg

rkJkxF1.jpg

IgBRGjE.jpg

dWGoTDB.jpg

HZTFnAr.jpg

3rwXqQC.jpg

Well, my first thought is that when I catch someone lying t me I have trouble trusting them from then on.

Second thought is that the sheet shows delivery to home, nothing about site prep and setup. The biggest cost in many AGP setups is the site prep. It has to be exactly level, not just close.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I also do not see the cost of set up only delivery to home. We have bottom drains (probably because of the size) but I think a bottom drain helps keep it cleaner? I'm with Tim, I wouldn't trust him at this point. I think the 6'x 14' is quite expensive. We have a 33' round, put a wood deck around our pool and connected to house (32' to pool from house and then 8 foot on the north side (for the kids) and 3 feet on south and east --- about $6,000 for materials and labor if I recall.

Don't let them talk you into chemical packages....use the TFP concept. I had Bacqucil and went from $1,500+ in annual chemicals to less than $500 annual for Chlorine! I converted last year which was awful so I cost me for large quantity of chlorine to convert....this year should be a piece of cake!

The deck has carpeting on it which is nice. As for instalation, we have a guy that charges $800 and is very good apparently at it. Electric will be a whole other issue.

There was a pool previously here, I obtained the permits for that and the electric through FOIA. So we're doing this under a pool replacement so no need for new permits.

There was electric here previously, I found the house mounted side, but for some reason I dug around and can't find it where the old filter was. Even used a metal detector and only found parts of the old pool.

I'm gonna dig near the house and just go from there.

Is bonding necessary when it comes to pool replacement? We're gonna bond the skimmer and pump I know. But wrapping it around the pool, is it truly unsafe to not do so?? Especially with a resin vertical

- - - Updated - - -

Well, my first thought is that when I catch someone lying t me I have trouble trusting them from then on.

Second thought is that the sheet shows delivery to home, nothing about site prep and setup. The biggest cost in many AGP setups is the site prep. It has to be exactly level, not just close.

Right, what else is he wrong or misleading me with is my concern. But everything is good quality from my checking so who knows.

We have install for $800 coming here. Just need to supply the Mason sand

Yes bonding is needed and yes it is much safer to have a properly bonded pool. Dig down about 6-12 inches one the outter edge of where the old pool was. You might find the old bonding loop there. If you don't find the bonding wire then you will need to install a new one.

Yes bonding is needed and yes it is much safer to have a properly bonded pool. Dig down about 6-12 inches one the outter edge of where the old pool was. You might find the old bonding loop there. If you don't find the bonding wire then you will need to install a new one.
Chuck has it right!!

While you say you don't need a permit because it is a "replacement", for the safety of your family you need everything installed to the latest code. "EVERYTHING" in and around the pool needs to be bonded, including the metal deck being added.

I would suggest you find an electrician who specializes in pools to handle the project. The differences between "grounding" and "bonding" confuse many folks, including electricians who seldom deal with pools.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe I'm old but the second I found out that the sales guy lied about the make of the pool, I would walk. He would not see one dime of my money. I am afraid you will invest a lot of money and never be truly satisfied with it, because you will know this guy lied to you and tried to get over on you and still got your money. You may not look at it that way and that is totally fine. You are a more evolved person than me :) I really, really hope it all works out either way and you LOVE whatever pool you put in!

What would make me walk away is (and let's assume they are simply misinformed) if a problem arises down the road, how do you think they are going to handle it? I'm guessing, not well.

Between Craiglist or whatever site is the "go to" or finding out who their installer is and getting with that person directly, you can order the pool you want online and then just pay someone to install it... Or if you have the time, do it yourself. Leveling is the most time consuming part

I always apply one or both of the following when I'm trying to sort things out for myself, either works for all kinds of life situations:

The "Judge Judy Test." Picture yourself in her court, trying to recoup your money from this guy, and telling her your story. Is she going to be all sympathetic and glare at the dealer? Or is she going to chew you out for ignoring the obvious signs this guy is throwing at you, and for not knowing better?

OR

The simpler, more universal: "If it feels icky, don't do it."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.