Purchasing new SWG - A Few quick questions

May 15, 2016
Damascus/MD
I think I'm finally doing it - tired of lugging bottles of bleach too and fro!

My pool has a fairly low 24 consumption - not too much more than 1-1.5ppm. I'm leaning towards a unit that can pump out as near 2.0lb per 24 hour period since I have a VS pump. My VS pump runs high for 4 hours or so (around 3200rpm) then "medium" (around 2200rpm) for 6 hours....then just slowly churning for the rest of the time (under 900rpm if I remember correctly). I have a roughtly 26k vinyl pool

Considering the following units:
CircuPool Universal40 - ~$690 (really just based on price alone I like this one most)
Chlorine Output: 2.0 lbs/day
Manufacturer Warranty: 4 Years Limited*
Manufacturer Rated Lifespan: 10,000 hours
Manufacturer Max Capacity: 40,000 gallons

CircuPool RJ-45 PLUS (would the RJ-60 be overkill?) $800
Power: 2.0 lbs/day
Manufacturer Warranty: 7 Years Limited*
Manufacturer Rated Lifespan: 15000 hours
Manufacturer Max Capacity: 45000 gallons

CircuPool SJ-55 - $800
Power: 2.3 lbs/day
Manufacturer Warranty: 5 Years Limited*
Manufacturer Rated Lifespan: 10500 hours
Manufacturer Max Capacity: 55000 gallons

I think those are in my preferred order Universal40/RJ-45 are tied in first for me - while the SJ-55 is a great price, the salinity level requirements are a little higher then I'd like...but it is a great deal! I don't see the universal40 discussed very much - is there a reason why? I honestly think the RJ45 plus might be worth the extra costs...I'm kind of leaning slightly toward that unit.

Questions are as follows:

1) Installation - I really only have 2 spots to install....9" of space just before return lines go in the ground, and maybe 10" just after the heater output (pipes are diagonal down from output). If I use a CircuPool vertical installation kit (see here) - significantly reduce the flow of the pump? Seems like a couple of right elbows in a line isn't really ideal!

2) I'm considering putting a check valve in just before my heater....is this necessary? Seems like a good idea in case any heavy chlorinated water would go back into the heater for extended time periods.

3) Since I'm "oversizing" the generator - should I go with which unit has the most "steps" in percentages?

I think that is about it - the other CircuPool lineup seems a little pricey for their chlorine output (the new Edge/Core series)...but let me know if I am overlooking something!

The RJ versions are mostly used here on the forum. The universal unit is for replacement of an existing system. TFP would recommend the RJ60 to get to 2X your pool volume. Your low rpm flow rate would need to be increased if you plan to run SWCG 24 hours.

The vertical install is fine.
No check valve needed. Will just increase the RPM you will need to run your pump to close the flow switch.
What level of % setting fine tuning do they provide? I have not researched that.

Howdy from a fellow Damascuser... Let me know if you have any issues with the install I installed a Jandy TruClear last year was no issue at all.

Howdy from a fellow Damascuser...

Ah man - what a small world! I'm technically Gaithersburg (I call it Gaither-tucky!) off of Log House Rd - but I eat enough Jimmy Cone and my kids play enough DSA stuff to call myself Damascus-onian :)

I will miss my trip to Weis for the crazy cheap pool shock they had. Sure the date codes on the bottles were all over the place...but at the prices they sold them at I wouldn't complain :)

The RJ versions are mostly used here on the forum. The universal unit is for replacement of an existing system. TFP would recommend the RJ60 to get to 2X your pool volume. Your low rpm flow rate would need to be increased if you plan to run SWCG 24 hours.

The vertical install is fine.
No check valve needed. Will just increase the RPM you will need to run your pump to close the flow switch.
What level of % setting fine tuning do they provide? I have not researched that.

Awesome, thanks for the reply - I kind of got the idea the RJ versions were most used here. I don't plan on running the SWG 24 hours - just the amount of hours needed to satisfy the flow switch and chlorine generation based on the great SWGenerator spreadsheet I've been using! I'm checking into the rpms needed for a flow switch to open/close now - but I think the thresholds I run (3400/2200/800) should keep it well within the on/off times I'm looking at.

Ah man - what a small world! I'm technically Gaithersburg (I call it Gaither-tucky!) off of Log House Rd - but I eat enough Jimmy Cone and my kids play enough DSA stuff to call myself Damascus-onian :)

I will miss my trip to Weis for the crazy cheap pool shock they had. Sure the date codes on the bottles were all over the place...but at the prices they sold them at I wouldn't complain :)

I am G'burg as well right off Hawkins Creamery. My daughter goes to DHS but no more DSA she did not like them at all.

Awesome, thanks for the reply - I kind of got the idea the RJ versions were most used here. I don't plan on running the SWG 24 hours - just the amount of hours needed to satisfy the flow switch and chlorine generation based on the great SWGenerator spreadsheet I've been using! I'm checking into the rpms needed for a flow switch to open/close now - but I think the thresholds I run (3400/2200/800) should keep it well within the on/off times I'm looking at.
oneskinnydave,
Where are you purchasing from? Those prices you quoted look very good. Looking for an RJ60 myself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.