Purchased a home with a saltwater pool, need help learning how to maintain

chrisg23

May 1, 2019
Virginia
Hello all,
We recently purchased a home that has a saltwater pool and a very nice hot tub. Hot tub doesn't seem to be as hard to maintain, but that's for another topic. Here's the details on our pool:
Dimensions (roughly):
Width: 15.6'
Length: 31.6'
Depth: 4' (though on one side length-wise, there is a "bench" for sitting)

Pump Details:
Pentair Inteliflo Variable Speed Pump 3HP
Pool Pilot Digital Nano Autopilot Salt Chlorine Generator

The pool has an automated safety cover that remains closed unless we use it, though it's still been to cold to swim yet. We've only been in the house a little over a week, but up to this point the pump has been running 24/7 at 1,000RPM.

Can someone please help me determine if the pump should be constantly running, and if not, how should I run it? I was browsing the user manual for the pump and trying to read online, and it seems I should be able to program it to turn on and run at set speeds/times instead of constantly running. I did buy some test strips to test the chlorine levels, but at this point I'm not sure if the strips are the best way to go.

Despite having a cover, there's some dirt in the pool that I need to get in there and clean out. I haven't used the vaccuum yet, but I plan on giving it a good scrubbing as well. The pool was not closed the entire winter due to the owners selling, so the pool has basically been running all winter.

I would appreciate any tips and advice anyone has to offer!

Attachments

• w9EFSya9QlmdS4tDf2mF1A.jpg
    w9EFSya9QlmdS4tDf2mF1A.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 3t%Ie2adSom0sEhXe1XmpQ.jpg
    3t%Ie2adSom0sEhXe1XmpQ.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 9
  • u7yd4vfBSt288aQD2KrDRg.jpg
    u7yd4vfBSt288aQD2KrDRg.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 7
Another detail I forgot to include, is it does have a solar heating system where the pipes run through the concrete around the pool to heat the water. I don't know if that factors in to how long the pump should be running.

The beauty of the Variable Speed Pump is that energy usage plummets as you reduce the RPMs. At 1,000 you're not spending very much, even 24/7. My old single-speed pump would not restart easily once it stopped so for the last 4 months I had it I ran in 24/7 and my energy bill was in the hundreds of dollars monthly. With my new VSP, I still run continuously and it costs a whole lot less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.