pump wont prime.

I just made sure there was plenty of water in the pump basket and closed the lid then turned the pump on and let it run. It just occured to me though...my pump is "self-priming"...is yours?? I would still let it run longer than 5 minutes though.

Albert said:
i have no idea i would guess that it isnt self-priming.

If it's not a self priming pump wouldn't you need to fill the entire suction side with water (or at least the lines that have their valves open) before it will move water?

I'm only familiar with my pool pump which is self priming, but with other types of pumps I've worked with, I had to fill the system with water including the pump to get it to pump water up. Just a thought.

I have a skimmer line with a leak in it, and if I even move the valve on for it slightly, my pump looses prime. I guess even a small leak can cause problems with the pump.

Sean

ok i took a drain king to it and that pumped out lots of Crud and then i found out that my basket is cracked which led me to think that the impeller was clogged, for once i was right so i cleaned that out and turned it on and it primed itself and then shot up to 20 psi and then a bunch of sand came out of the returns. now that that is fixed i have to clear the green water i have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.