May 26, 2015
Berlin, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Trying to get my pool going for the summer. I have a 25k gallon pool with a Hayward super pump and sand filter. I have a skimmer and bottom drain. I knew we had to change the sand this year so we did that. Filled the pool up, hooked up pump, filter, and piping. Filled the pump basket with the hose for a solid 2-3 minutes. Started it up. After running for several minutes, the pump will not prime and water won’t circulate. I have some air bubbles coming out the nearest jet. When I turn the pump on, I can definitely hear the motor running. I can hear a suction when I open the cover. If I let it run for too long, the water starts warming up, but still no circulation. I assumed it was an air leak on the suction side. I have changed out the pump cover gasket and the union o rings and lubed everything up with silicone lubricant. Still nothing. Unsure of what to do next. I did have trouble clearing my pool last year, I assumed it was due to a dirty filter.

Some things to check:
- Pool water height midway up skimmer
- Any prime difference between skimmer only or drain only?
- If you disconnected the hoses for winter, are they connected properly; the in & out connections to the filter not backwards?
- 3-Way valves before the pump properly open; again try switching back & forth from skimmer to drain
- Possible blockage?
- Pump impeller tangled? Check with power OFF

Maybe post a pic of your equipment pad as well.

Some things to check:
- Pool water height midway up skimmer
- Any prime difference between skimmer only or drain only?
- If you disconnected the hoses for winter, are they connected properly; the in & out connections to the filter not backwards?
- 3-Way valves before the pump properly open; again try switching back & forth from skimmer to drain
- Possible blockage?
- Pump impeller tangled? Check with power OFF

Maybe post a pic of your equipment pad as well.
No difference between skimmer and bottom drain. Water is a little on the high side today but yesterday (when we tried opening) it was perfect. Connections are definitely correct, I have everything marked. Haven’t ruled out blockage and haven’t checked impeller. I did just find another o-ring that I had missed this afternoon, replaced and lubed it up, but now my outlet is giving me trouble. I have an electrician coming by on Wednesday. We bought the house with the pool and unfortunately are always having issues. 😔

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.